Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Abducted Osun travellers were released without ransom: Amotekun

The abductees were rescued by the security operatives during the weekend.

• March 7, 2021
Amotekun Corps commander in Osun, Amitolu Shittu
Amotekun Corps commander in Osun, Amitolu Shittu

A joint effort by security agencies and the Amotekun Corps ensured the safe release of the seven travellers abducted along the Osogbo-Ibokun road on Tuesday without any payment to the abductors, Amotekun Corps commander in Osun, Amitolu Shittu, told Peoples Gazette.

The abductees were rescued by the security operatives during the weekend.

Mr. Shittu who spoke with the Gazette on Saturday narrated that the travellers were attacked and kidnapped in Obokun Local Government Area. He said one of the victims was killed in the process.

” The information we had last week was that seven travellers were abducted by some criminal elements in Ibokun, they killed one person and kidnapped seven people. We have been working with the police officers since then and with the joint efforts of the SSS, police and Amotekun we were able to reduce them,” Mr. Shittu said.

Speaking further, he explained that the team of security operatives mounted serious pressure on the kidnapper which led to the rescue of the abductors without any ransom being paid.

” They regained their freedom in Ibokun without paying ransom, there was serious heat mounted on the kidnappers by the police and Amotekun officers. The travellers have been reunited with their families.”

Mr. Shittu promised that such an incident would not happen again in that axis.

” Ibokun road is a federal road, and one of the safest in the state but we have changed our strategy to hit harder on the criminal elements  among the perpetrators that are killing people in the territory. Never again will such happen in Ibokun. The kidnappers are the number one enemies of Nigeria,” he said.

The police in Osun had earlier released a statement announcing the rescue of the victims, the Gazette earlier reported.

“The victims were released due to the pressure mounted on the abductors by the Police and other security agencies. The victims will soon be reunited with their families,” police spokesperson Yemisi Opalola said in the statement on Saturday.

She noted that the state police commissioner, Olawale Olokode, has vowed to ensure that such an incident does not happen again while appealing to citizens to help get rid of all criminal elements in the state.

“The Commissioner of Police appeals to the good citizens of the State to collaborate with Police to get rid of all criminal elements from the State, while assuring the members of the public/commuters of their safety as security measures have been put in place to forestall future occurrence,” Ms. Opalola said.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Uncategorized

Why Nigeria is becoming an interesting market for international online casinos

Nigeria has an established betting culture, giving gaming businesses a starting point as they assess how consumers discover, compare and use platforms.

UNICEF

Port Harcourt

UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children

The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them. 

Ebonyi State CP Urunwa Okafor

States

Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction

Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Scene at the Ataoja's palace.

Heading 1

Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police 

Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido. 

Peter Mbah

Heading 2

Gov. Mbah appoints 23 new SAs, SSAs

Mr Onyia said the appointments take immediate effect.

Music console

Hot news Home top

Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.

She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty.Â