AFCON: Napoli fancy legal battle against Nigeria over Osimhen

Super Eagles forward Victor Osimhen has withdrawn from the 2022 African Cup of Nations, AFCON, with his club threatening to take the Nigeria Football Federation to court if Osimhen is forced to return for the competition against the club doctor’s advise.
“It is a realistic scenario. Medicine is not an exact science, one doctor can say one thing and another medic give a different opinion,” said. SSC Napoli’s lawyer Enrico Lumbrano while speaking on Osimhen’s health condition with Italian Radio Punto Nuovo.
“FIFA give the final word to the Nigerian Federation. We won’t rule out taking legal action against the Nigerian Federation, seeking compensation,” he added
Osimhen was a major injury doubt for the African tournament after he suffered fractures in the face in November but he made an unexpectedly fast recovery after a successful surgery by Italian Surgeon Gianpaolo Tartaro.
He was then included in coach Austin Eguavoen’s 28-man squad for AFCON.
Things however went south when club doctors diagnosed Osimhen for COVID-19 upon his return to Italy after a short Christmas break in Nigeria. The club had secured NFF’s leave to allow Osimhen participate in Napoli’s crucial match against Juventus on January despite AFCON starting three days later.
“With an agreement between Napoli and the NFF, Osimhen could have played against Juventus on January 6 and then left immediately after the game,” Mr Lumbrano has told the radio station.
But Osimhen’s COVID-19 condition complicated the arrangement.
By FIFA rules, Nigeria could insist Napoli release the player for the competition or sit out the entire period of the championship without playing for the club.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
Nigerian businesses offered platform to fight AI-driven cybercrime
Digital Encode, a Nigerian cybersecurity company, says it has deployed an AI platform to help organisations fight increasingly sophisticated cybercrime.

States
Kano assembly seeks modernisation of Murtala library to boost reading culture
The Kano State House of Assembly has urged the state government to urgently undertake a total overhaul and facelift of the state-owned library.

States
APM wins Bauchi local govt elections
Some opposition parties boycotted the elections, alleging that the exercise contravened the 2026 Bauchi State Electoral Act.

Sport
FIFA sacks chief operating officer after criticising Infantino’s investment plan
Mr Lamour’s dismissal was confirmed by a FIFA spokesperson, who said the COO would be relieved of his responsibilities effective Monday.

States
Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members
“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Hot news Home top
‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.






