Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Afghanistan: Taliban government to allow education for women

The extremist group pushing to take over Afghan government assures that it would not violate the rights of women as it had always done.

• August 15, 2021
TALIBAN
Taliban militant group [Photo Credit: Council on Foreign Relations]

Extremist group Taliban says it will allow women access to education as it continues to advance with its plot to take over government from Afghan President Ashraf Ghani.

TRT World Now reports that Taliban spokesperson Suhail Shaheen said the insurgent’s government would respect the rights of women.

He also disclosed that the insurgents will allow women access to work, adding that punishments like executions, amputations and stoning will be at the discretion of courts.

“Rights of women will be respected – They will have access to education, work – They will be allowed to leave homes alone – Punishments like executions, stonings, amputations up to courts,” Mr Shaheen was quoted by TRT World to have said.

Peoples Gazette had earlier reported that Taliban fighters entered the city of Kabul on Sunday, demanding the unconditional surrender of the central government.

In the report, The Gazette disclosed that Mr Ghani will abdicate in the next few hours after the Taliban came into the city limits.

The extremist group has made major advances across Afghanistan as the U.S. and other countries started withdrawing their troops from the country. The original date for the full withdrawal of U.S. forces in Afghanistan was September 11, to mark the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

The group has taken over most of southern, northern and western Afghanistan. Mazar-i-Sharif, the capital of Balkh province and the biggest city in the north, fell to the Taliban on Saturday, as regional leaders and security forces abandoned the city fleeing to Uzbekistan for safety.

While in charge of Afghanistan in the 1990s, the Taliban’s government was characterised by systematic violations against the rights of women and girls.

The U.S. government was forced to seize power from the insurgents in 2001 after series of human rights abuses including executions; and extreme suppression of freedom of religion, expression, and education was recorded under the Taliban rule.

However, in 2020, U.S. and the Taliban entered a truce, outlining a phased withdrawal of U.S. forces from Afghanistan in exchange for Taliban commitments to restrain from attacks on the U.S. or its allies from Afghan territory.

As negotiations advanced, Human Rights Watch in 2020 highlighted the need to address issues bothering on fundamental human rights, with special focus on the rights of women and girls; education; freedom of expression and the media.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Ronaldo with family

Hot news Home top

‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida

Politics

Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

President Donald Trump

Economy

Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz

President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

Thousands at jason ardy vigil

World

Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday

Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Ebola clinic in DRC

Africa

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

Otti signing document

Economy

Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner

The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.