Monday, August 17, 2026

After two months’ strike, judicial activities pick up at Abuja courts

“I have been coming to this court but they are always closed. Today, I am lucky they are around. I came to do affidavit for my age,” Mr Ibrahim narrated to The Gazette.

• June 15, 2021
FCT High Court
FCT High Court

Judicial activities officially commenced on Tuesday across the nation after the strike by Judicial Staff Union of Nigeria (JUSUN) was called off last week.

The strike which commenced on April 6 was called off on June 9 following a meeting between officials of the union and the National Judicial Council (NJC) led by the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN). 

Judicial workers embarked on an indefinite nationwide strike to push for the implementation of financial autonomy for the judiciary thereby leading to the closures of courts across the country. 

At the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court, the environment looked quite scanty as few lawyers were seen around the courts. A sitting judge Bolaji Olajuwon of court 7 sat only to give dates to lawyers that had cases.

The FCT High Court, Maitama was busier than the Federal High Court. Court 32 was sitting as at 11:12 a.m. and lawyers could be seen trooping in to the courts to get dates for their hearing. 

Litigants could also be seen in their numbers moving in and out of the courts. 

Speaking on the atmosphere after the resumption, Barrister Umezie Maxwell said he was happy that activities has kicked off.

“The courts has just resumed, court officials are at work. I am happy everything has returned to order. I came to see if my matter has been assigned to court and possibly get a date,” he said
When asked about the return of judicial activities, Justine Chuwang, a lawyer said: “Most of the courts here at Maitama sat today  as activities have commenced and I’m here to take a date for my cases.”

At the entrance of the court gate,  Peoples Gazette noticed an elderly man who was sitting at the security post and looking tired. He said is name is Abel Ibrahim.

“I have been coming to this court but they are always closed. Today, I am lucky they are around. I came to do affidavit for my age,” Mr Ibrahim narrated to The Gazette.

At the Area Court in Kubwa, the court had already closed  for the day as of 2:30 p.m. when The Gazette reporter got there.

A plaintiff, Abubakar Isa, told the The Gazette that the strike has cost him a lot as he can’t get hold of the defendant.

“This strike has cost me so much. How can court of all places go on strike? I have a case I brought to the court, the person involved, I can’t even find him since he has moved out from my area but I have hope that the court will summon him and I will get justice,” he said.

The Customary Court Kubwa did not hear any case on Tuesday, The Gazette learnt.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Showbiz

Kamsy emerges third housemate evicted from BBNaija Season 11

Her departure came as a fresh reminder that popularity inside the house does not necessarily translate into enough public votes.

Sport

Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to win first WAFCON title

Cameroon thus became the fourth nation to win the WAFCON, joining record champions Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea and South Africa.

Alake at Nigeria Gold Day Celebration event

NationWide

Alake warns illegal operators against mining abandoned pits

The minister said the tragedy could have been averted if the illegal miners formed a cooperative and applied for the necessary permit.

States

Police arrest Kogi man for setting wife on fire

The state Commissioner of Police, Naziru Kankarofi, condemned the attack, describing it as “barbaric and unacceptable.”

Showbiz

Spider-Man: Brand New Day’ rakes $2 billion at global box office

Marvel and Sony’s “Spider-Man: Brand New Day” has grossed $2 billion at the global box office after only three weeks in theatres