Alleged $1 Billion Fraud: Court rejects detained CBEX operators’ bail plea

The Abuja Division of the Federal High Court on Monday declined to grant the bail application filed by three detained promoters of the Crypto Bridge Exchange (CBEX) over the alleged $1 billion fraud.
Justice Emeka Nwite, in a ruling, held it was obvious that from the totality of the affidavit evidence of both parties, it was glaring that the character of evidence against the defendants was strong.
Mr Nwite also held that due to the nature of the case, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) obtained an order of remand of the defendants by a court of competent jurisdiction.
The judge observed that at the time of the bail application by the CBEX promoters, no formal charge had been filed against the applicants.
He also observed that, before the hearing of the instant application, a formal charge had already been filed against the defendants, awaiting assignment to a particular court or judge.
“In view of the foregoing and taking cognisance of the nature of the case and particularly, a charge has been filed against applicants, I am of the view, and I so hold, that interest of justice will be met by taking this application to the court where the charge is pending for the court to take the arraignment of the applicants and hearing the bail application simultaneously.
“Hence, the application is refused,” the judge declared.
Mr Nwite had, on June 11, fixed June 30 for the ruling after counsel for the EFCC, Fadila Yusuf, and the defence lawyers adopted their processes and argued their case for and against the application.
The judge had, on April 24, given the EFCC the go-ahead to arrest and detain six operators of CBEX over their involvement in the fraud.
The judge, who gave the order after EFCC’s lawyer, Ms Yusuf, moved an ex-parte motion to that effect, said the detention would be pending the conclusion of the investigation into the alleged offences and possible prosecution.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Lagos
Lagos police nab six over viral video of miscreants harassing motorists
Ms Adebisi said the command was already aware of the activities of the miscreants.

Heading 3
NYSC DG urges corps members to remain politically neutral, obey scheme rules
According to him, adherence to the core values of the scheme remains non-negotiable.

States
ADC cautions Jigawa government against unregulated mining
He warned that inadequate mining regulations could provide opportunities for bandits.

States
Enugu receives $125,000 U.S. grant for preservation of Lejja Iron-Smelting site
Mr Hudspeth said the grant is aimed at transforming and providing digital documentation of the site.

States
Tinubu urges Adeleke to promote unity, reconciliation in Osun
The president urged Mr Adeleke to focus on governance and improving the welfare of Osun residents.

Abuja
Mahmoud calls on churches, mosques to promote peace ahead of 2027 elections
Ms Mahmoud urged citizens to continue supporting and praying for Mr Tinubu.






