Alleged Forgery: Court issues arrest warrant on two Abuja-based lawyers

Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie of the FCT High Court, Apo, Abuja, on Monday issued a bench warrant against two Abuja-based lawyers.
The duo of Victor Giwa and Ibitade Bukola were dragged before the court by the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, over allegations bordering on forgery and impersonation.
Mr Onwuegbuzie issued the warrant at the resumed hearing in the matter following an application to that effect by the prosecution counsel, Eristo Asaph.
Mr Asaph’s application was because of the absence of both defendants to be arraigned on a three-count charge brought against them by the IGP.
In the charge, marked CR/150/25, both defendants were accused of conspiring between themselves to forge a legal document purportedly issued from the Chambers of Awa U. Kalu (SAN), with a view to misleading the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice.
According to the prosecution, both Mr Giwa and Ms Bukola, on June 28, 2024, forged and signed a letter on the official letterhead of Awa U. Kalu SAN, requesting the AGF to suspend a scheduled arraignment of Mr Giwa before Justice Samira Nature, also of the High Court of the FCT, Maitama and scheduled for July 2, 2024.
They were alleged to have written the contentious letter on the letterhead of Awa U Kalu (SAN) Chambers, titled, “Urgent and Solemn Appeal to Suspend the Arraignment of Our Colleague Victor Giwa (Esq) on Charge Number CR/222/2023” and addressed the same to the AGF.
The purported letter, according to the prosecution, sought the AGF’s intervention to halt Mr Giwa’s arraignment alongside others before Justice Bature and withdrawal of charges against him in the interest of “natural justice, equity and fair play.”
A property developer, Cecil Osakwe Giwa and Edith Erhunmwuse, were billed to be arraigned on a nine-count charge bordering on alleged illegal eviction, criminal intimidation, threat to life and property damage amounting to N300 million before Justice Bature.
The police alleged that the offences committed by both Giwa and Bukola were punishable under Sections 97, 364 and 179 of the Penal Code Act, 2004.
At the scheduled arraignment of the defendants on Monday, both were absent from court, while their counsel, Ogbu Aboje, told the court that Mr Giwa’s absence was due to his health challenge.
According to Mr Aboje, Mr Giwa had written a letter informing the court of the degenerative lumbar condition the first defendant was battling with.
Mr Aboje told the court that on her part, Ms Bukola was absent in court due to a medical appointment for the immunisation of her daughter.
He, therefore, urged the court to invoke its power under Section 266(b) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act to excuse the absence of the defendants, saying that they were even raising a preliminary objection on the jurisdiction of the court to entertain the matter.
Responding to the defence counsel’s submission, Asaph told the court that Mr Giwa’s letter did not show that he (Giwa) could not go out to carry out his business.
According to him, the ailment can be easily managed.
“In view of this, we urge the court to discountenance the said letter.”
The prosecutor said there was no document placed before the court to show that the second defendant had an appointment and urged the court to refuse the reason given for her absence in court.
He said that contrary to Section 266 (b) cited by the defence counsel, the case before the court is a criminal matter.
He added that the section cited by Aboje dwelt on interlocutory matters.
“In a criminal matter, Section 396(2) of ACJA states that until arraignment is taken, the defendant cannot raise a preliminary objection,” adding that the defendants had been trying to evade arraignment.
Asaph subsequently applied for a bench warrant to be issued by the court against the two lawyers to compel their appearance before the court at the next adjourned date.
In a brief ruling, the judge held that though there was a medical report before the court, it did not state that the first defendant could not come to court.
He, therefore, ordered a bench warrant against the defendants in line with Section 352 of ACJA.
He subsequently adjourned until October 8 for their arraignment.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
FG, Meta plan AI academy to train Nigerian talents
The initiative is expected to provide Nigerian developers, entrepreneurs and young professionals with practical AI training and funding opportunities.

States
Continue to deliver good governance, Obasanjo tells Gov Adeleke
The former president urged Mr Adeleke to remain committed to good governance and delivering the dividends of democracy.

States
PHOTOS: Hundreds of civil servants storm Osun state secretariat to celebrate Adeleke’s re-election
Hundreds of civil servants occupied the main entrance to the Osun State government secretariat on Monday to welcome Governor Ademola Adeleke, after his re-election.

Politics
Edo assembly speaker Blessing Agbebaku resigns
Blessing Agbebaku, the speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, has resigned.

Politics
Former presidential candidate says Osun election turning point for Nigeria’s democracy
Ex-presidential candidate Martin Onovo of the National Conscience Party has described the outcome of the Osun governorship election as a turning point for Nigeria’s democracy.

Economy
TAJBank’s profit before tax surges 74%, assets reach N1.34 trillion
TAJBank Limited, a non-interest bank, grew its profit before tax by 74 per cent year-on-year, reaching N31.562 billion for the 2025 financial year.






