Anthony Joshua confident of defeating Usyk to reclaim heavyweight titles
Anthony Joshua has expressed confidence in winning the rematch fight against Oleksandr Usyk, calling himself the “comeback king.”
Usyk defeated Joshua, a two-time world champion, claiming the WBA (Super), IBF and WBO heavyweight titles last September.
At a media conference ahead of the August 20 rematch, Joshua expressed confidence in his ability to bounce back from last September’s defeat.
“If you know my story, you know I’m the comeback king. You can put me down, but it’s difficult to keep me down,” said Joshua, admitting that “in the fight in September, I was wrong and he [Usyk] was right.”
A rematch between Joshua and Usyk was confirmed for August 20 in Saudi Arabia earlier in the week.
Joshua, 31, will be looking forward to revenge in Saudi Arabia against Usyk, who handed him a second defeat in his boxing career.
In 2019, Joshua bounced back from his first career defeat, reclaiming his title from Andy Ruiz Jr, who first defeated him.
Usyk, 35, has remained unbeaten in 19 professional fights.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
“But if I grant this application and the defendant fails to appear on the next adjourned date, I will make an order declaring him wanted.”
Central Bank Governor Godwin Emefiele and foreign minister Geoffrey Onyeama are also among top administration officials heading to Dakar on Thursday, the State House said.
The police command in Enugu says it launched a manhunt for people who lynched two suspected ritualists in the Nsukka axis on July 4.
President Muhammadu Buhari has announced a minor cabinet reshuffle as he swears in seven new ministers in the State House, Abuja, on Wednesday.
UK PM Boris Johnson is struggling to maintain a grip on power in No 10 Downing Street as ministers and aides continue to quit his government in protest at his leadership.
The Ekweremadus’ case is expected to continue in the UK on July 7. Their alleged victim was identified as a homeless 15-year-old from Lagos.