Wednesday, August 17, 2022

APC aspirant loses case to have Ekiti governor-elect disqualified

“I am in agreement that the statement of claims by the plaintiff is incurably bad, as argued by the first defence counsel…,” said the judge as he struck out the suit.

• August 4, 2022
Abiodun Oyebanji
Abiodun Oyebanji

The Ado-Ekiti Division of the Federal High Court on Thursday struck out a suit filed by Kayode Ojo of the APC challenging the nomination of Governor-elect Biodun Oyebanji by the party in the June 18 governorship election.

Mr Ojo, in a suit marked FHC/ABJ/C5/15/2022 earlier filed in the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court and later transferred to the Ado-Ekiti division, asked the court to declare him as the valid candidate of the APC in the January 27, 2020 APC governorship primary or nullify the entire shadow exercise.

Other defendants in the suit were the Independent National Electoral Commission, Ayo Adegbete, Stephen Aribasoye, Vincent Bewaji, Goke Olajide, Lateef Akanle and Richard Apolola. Others were Kayode Fasakin, Adu Joseph Teju Okunyiga, Olumide Fadipe, Dele Oloje, Victor Adebiyi, Folorunso Olabode, Deji Ajayi Sunkanmi Onipede, Kemi Olaleye and secretary and members of the Ekiti governorship primary election committee.

Delivering judgment on Thursday, Justice Babs Kuewumi upheld the preliminary objections by the APC in striking out the suit.

The judge held that since the maker of the signature on the writ of summons and the plaintiff’s statement of claims could not be ascertained, thus, the irregularities made the process defective.

“I am in agreement that the statement of claims by the plaintiff is incurably bad, as argued by the first defence counsel. I uphold the preliminary objection of the first defendant,” said the judge as he struck out the suit “for lack of jurisdiction.”

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Rear Admiral Yaminu Musa

NationWide

Buhari appoints Yanimu Musa head of National Counter Terrorism Centre

Before his appointment, Mr Musa had been the Director of the Counter Terrorism Directorate in the ONSA since 2017.

Emmanuel Osodeke

Education

ASUU strike continues as Buhari regime fails to accede lecturers’ demands 

A top ASUU operative said the three-hour meeting ended without any commitment to resolving the issue by either parties.

INEC Photo (Credit: Punch Newspapers)

Politics

INEC redeploys two RECs, eight senior officials

The redeployed RECs according to Mr Okoye were Dr Cyril Omorogbe from Cross River to Akwa-Ibom; and Dr Alalibo Sinikiem from Edo to Rivers.

Muhammad Bello

Abuja

Abuja safest, most peaceful city in Nigeria: Minister

Mr Mohammed added that efforts being made by the FCTA to curb insecurity in Abuja were numerous.

Minister for Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq.

States

We spend N24 billion annually on poverty alleviation schemes in Sokoto: Minister

“It is consistent with President Buhari’s deliberate National agenda of lifting 100 million Nigerians out of poverty in 10 years.”

Dollar and Naira

Economy

Naira loses value against dollar, exchanges at N430.67 at I&E window

The figure represented a decrease of 0.16 per cent compared with the N430 it exchanged for the dollar on Monday.