Appeal Court acquits ex-CJN Onnoghen on false asset declaration, unfreezes account

The Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja has acquitted former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen, overturning his 2019 conviction by the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) on false asset declaration.
The three-member panel of the appellate court, headed by Justice Abba Bello Mohammed, acquitted Mr Onnoghen in a ruling on Monday.
The appellate court also ordered the bank to unfreeze his accounts frozen in 2019 maintained with Standard Chartered Bank (Nig) Ltd with immediate effect.
The judgement of the appellate came after the ruling on an appeal filed by the former CJN, challenging his removal by the CCT.
While discharging Mr Onnoghen from the conviction, the appellate court set aside the ruling of the CCT, led by Danladi Umar.
The Appeal Court had in September granted the request of the federal government to settle out of court with the ex-CJN after he approached the court to challenge his removal from office.
In an appeal, marked CA/ABJ/375, 376, 377/2019 filed through his counsel, Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), Mr Onnoghen had sought to quash his conviction on the grounds of lack of jurisdiction, bias, and the absence of a fair hearing.
Recall that Mr Onnoghen was removed from office by former President Muhammadu Buhari just before the 2019 general elections.
He was convicted on the six counts of breaching the Code of Conduct for Public Officers, brought against him by the federal government during his tenure as head of the judiciary.
The tribunal not only ordered his removal but also banned him from holding public office for 10 years and directed the forfeiture of five bank accounts he allegedly failed to declare between 2009 and 2015.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members
“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Hot news Home top
‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Politics
Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti
Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

Economy
Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz
President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

World
Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday
Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Africa
Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history
WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.






