Bandits kill 11 in Katsina village attack

The police command in Katsina has confirmed that bandits attack on Gurbi village in Kankara Local Government Area left 11 people dead and two others injured.
In a statement on Monday, the command’s spokesman, Abubakar Aliyu, said the attack occurred at about 2:40 p.m. on April 26, 2026.
“Suspected armed bandits attacked the village and fatally shot 11 persons, while two others sustained varying degrees of injury before the arrival of security agencies,” Mr Aliyu said.
“On receipt of the distress call, a joint security team comprising the police, military, and other sister security agencies, led by the DPO, promptly mobilised to the scene. The assailants fled on sighting the advancing security forces.”
He added that normalcy had been restored to the area, noting that the injured victims were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment, while the bodies of the deceased were released to their families for burial in line with Islamic rites.
Mr Aliyu said the command sympathised with the families of the victims and assured the public that efforts were ongoing to track, apprehend, and prosecute those responsible.
He urged residents to remain calm and provide useful information to assist ongoing investigations.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
I won’t focus on religion, ethnicity in my 2027 presidential election campaign: Obi
“Daddy, I need you to speak to your people in the South-West and Kwara, the Christians in the South-West and Kwara,” Mr Obi said in 2023. “This is a religious war.”

Politics
Elegushi hails Olu of Warri on fifth coronation anniversary
The traditional ruler of Ikate-Elegushi Kingdom, Saheed Elegushi, has praised the Olu of Warri, Ogiame Atuwatse III, for five years of purposeful leadership.

Politics
Women networks unveil ‘Project 4+4’ for Tinubu, Shettima
APC women have unveiled the ‘Project 4+4 for Tinubu/Shettima 2027’.

Rights
Rivers: NAPTIP seals off ‘baby factory’ in Port Harcourt
NAPTIP says it has sealed a maternity home in Port Harcourt, Rivers, suspected of operating illegal baby factory activities and trafficking children.

Anti-Corruption
Procurement bureau seeks stronger CSO participation in public procurement monitoring
BPP has called for stronger participation of civil society organisations in monitoring Nigeria’s public procurement system to ensure value for public expenditure.

States
Nigerian man arrested for multimillion-naira visa fraud, risks years in jail
A 53-year-old man, Babalola Waheed, was arraigned on Friday on charges of multimillion-naira visa fraud.






