Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Buhari deflecting attention from his failures with Twitter ban, Gov Ortom says

The governor insists that banning Twitter “amounts to suppression of fundamental human rights and gagging of social media.”

• June 8, 2021
Governor Ortom and President Buhari
Governor Ortom and President Buhari

Benue State governor Samuel Ortom has said that the shutdown of access to Twitter by the President Muhammadu Buhari regime is a scheme to divert citizens’ attention from the failure of the federal government to secure the nation.

The Nigerian government last week Friday banned Twitter, blocking citizens’ access to the micro-blogging platform after Mr Buhari’s tweet, deemed a threat to commit genocide in the fashion of the civil war genocide against the South-East people was deleted by Twitter. 

Mr Ortom, however, took to his Twitter handle on Tuesday, in defiance to Mr Buhari’s threat to arrest and prosecute whoever uses the micro-blogging platform in Nigeria to condemn Aso Villa.

“The ban on Twitter is not only illegal but it is also an ill-advised move to divert the attention of Nigerians from the FG’s failure to tackle insecurity in parts of the country,” Mr Ortom said. 

He further said that banning Twitter “amounts to suppression of fundamental human rights and gagging of social media.”

Though tackling insecurity was one of the three Cardinal campaign promises of Mr Buhari in the run up to the 2015 general elections, Nigerians have witnessed increased insecurity across the country.  

But presidential spokesperson Garba Shehu said insecurity is amplified in the media to rubbish the hardworking of Mr Buhari. 

In the North, bandits have continued  to kidnap en mass for ransom, while rampaging unknown gunmen attack, kill and destroy police stations and INEC offices across South-East.

More from Peoples Gazette

Bello and Bandits

Politics

Bandits, kidnappers are not true Fulani: Governor Bello

Governor Abubakar Sani Bello of Niger says bandits and kidnappers terrorising the country are not true Fulani.

Makinde and Amotekun

Ibadan

Insecurity: Makinde inaugurates Security Network board, Amotekun corps

Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo inaugurated the board of the State Security Network and Amotekun corps amid worsening insecurity in the state.

Ibadan

Bandit heading to Ibadan with military kits intercepted: Army

Army says its troops operating along Mokwa-Jebba road intercepted a fleeing bandit in a vehicle travelling from Zuru to Ibadan during a stop-and-search operation.

States

Schoolchildren Abduction: Fulani leaders support fight against bandits

Fulani leaders have thrown their weight behind the fight against bandits in Kebbi amid the latest mass abduction of schoolchildren.

Google tech

Economy

Nigerian female entrepreneurs among beneficiaries of Google’s $6 million grant

Google says it will support female startups and entrepreneurs in Nigeria and other African nations with $6 million.

Weah, Buhari, Nana, Ouattara

Africa

Nigeria, Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire, Liberia meet over insecurity

Nigeria joined Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, and Liberia in Banjul at a regional conference to discuss insecurity in West Africa.