Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Buhari has done his best; media should intervene to rescue Kaduna train passengers: Presidency

The administration fumed about a video released by the bandits and published in the media on Sunday.

• July 24, 2022
Bandits and Buhari toothpick
Bandits and President Muhammadu Buhari

The presidency on Sunday said President Muhammadu Buhari had done all in his power to rescue the abducted Kaduna train passengers languishing in captivity, noting that the efforts could be complemented if the media could stop amplifying materials from the abductors. 

“The President has done all and even more than what is expected of him as Commander-in-Chief by way of morale, materiel and equipment support to the military and expects nothing short of good results in the immediate,” a statement from the presidency said on Sunday night. “To help the nation against the ongoing situation, the media must increase their support for the fight against the exploitation of the internet and social media for terrorist purposes.”

The statement came hours after a video showing the dozens of abducted victims being brutalised by armed bandits dominated media reports. In the video, the victims cried for urgent support for rescue by the Buhari regime and foreign governments four months after their abduction along the Abuja-Kaduna tracks.

Some of the victims were freed after paying heavily, with some individuals reportedly paying as much as $400,000 each to be rescued.

 The Buhari administration has insisted that it’s doing everything possible to free the victims, saying the situation had become more complicated than most Nigerians recognised.

See the presidency’s full statement released by Garba Shehu below: Terrorist activity using propaganda and the use of violence to force governments to accept or submit to political demands is not new all over the world.

The country’s security and defence forces are not clueless or helpless. They have plans and ways of doing things that they will not display in the media.

The dilemmas in dealing with the specific case of train terrorists are manifold: punitive action like the popular call for carpet bombing of the known locations may assuage the desire of an angry public for revenge, but what about the hostages? They have committed no offence. All they did was board a train.

It suffices to say that the security forces are not relenting. They are acutely aware of their duties, responsibilities and what the nation expects of them. Whenever they embark upon those actions, they expect that the public should provide them with the needed support.

Terrorism is a global scourge that must be fought by all actors — the military, the civilian population and the communication service providers. This is the only way safe havens for terrorists are eliminated in every part of the world.

To help the nation against the ongoing situation, the media must increase their support for the fight against the exploitation of the internet and social media for terrorist purposes.

The Presidency, in the meantime, wishes to reassure the public that the President has done all and even more than what is expected of him as Commander-in-Chief by way of morale, materiel and equipment support to the military and expects nothing short of good results in the immediate.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Rear Admiral Yaminu Musa

NationWide

Buhari appoints Yanimu Musa head of National Counter Terrorism Centre

Before his appointment, Mr Musa had been the Director of the Counter Terrorism Directorate in the ONSA since 2017.

Emmanuel Osodeke

Education

ASUU strike continues as Buhari regime fails to accede lecturers’ demands 

A top ASUU operative said the three-hour meeting ended without any commitment to resolving the issue by either parties.

INEC Photo (Credit: Punch Newspapers)

Politics

INEC redeploys two RECs, eight senior officials

The redeployed RECs according to Mr Okoye were Dr Cyril Omorogbe from Cross River to Akwa-Ibom; and Dr Alalibo Sinikiem from Edo to Rivers.

Muhammad Bello

Abuja

Abuja safest, most peaceful city in Nigeria: Minister

Mr Mohammed added that efforts being made by the FCTA to curb insecurity in Abuja were numerous.

Minister for Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq.

States

We spend N24 billion annually on poverty alleviation schemes in Sokoto: Minister

“It is consistent with President Buhari’s deliberate National agenda of lifting 100 million Nigerians out of poverty in 10 years.”

Dollar and Naira

Economy

Naira loses value against dollar, exchanges at N430.67 at I&E window

The figure represented a decrease of 0.16 per cent compared with the N430 it exchanged for the dollar on Monday.