Thursday, December 8, 2022

Carabao Cup: Chelsea hammer Conte’s Tottenham in first leg semi-final

Kai Havertz scored just five minutes after the blast of the whistle, giving the Blues a lead at the Bridge.

• January 6, 2022
Kai Havertz scores
Kai Havertz scores the opening goal during the Carabao Cup Semi Final First Leg match between Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur

Chelsea in the first leg of Carabao Cup semi-final thrashed Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 on Wednesday night at the Stamford Bridge. 

Antonio Conte, former Chelsea coach, was welcomed with his new team to the Bridge with a defeat as the Blues made progress to booking their place in the final. 

Kai Havertz scored just five minutes after the blast of the whistle, giving the Blues a lead at the Bridge. 

An own goal by Benjamin Davies under intense pressure in the 34th minute doubled Chelsea’s lead, leaving Tottenham Hotspur struggling. 

Timo Werner could have made it three for the Blues but failed in his attempt to lob a one on one chance over Hugo Lloris. 

Thomas Tuchel’s Chelsea got a deserved win on Wednesday night, dominating 64 per cent of ball possession, six shots on target and cresting more chances, while Tottenham had just 2 shots on target with 36 per cent ball possession. 

Chelsea will be visiting Tottenham next week for a second leg with a two goal lead, while Tottenham will be looking forward to a come back to qualify for the final. 

Speaking after the defeat at the Bridge, Conte admitted “It was a difficult game. From the start Chelsea showed to be much better than us.

“The first half we struggled a lot, but we know we are talking about one of the best teams in the world, and if you compare it to our team, there is no comparison.” 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Governor Aminu Tambuwal and Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Faruk Yahaya

States

Tambuwal praises Nigerian Army over civil-military projects

Governor Aminu Tambuwal joined residents of Sifawa and other communities in the Bodinga local government area in commending civil-military projects executed by the Nigerian Army.

New York Times

Rights

New York Times editors, reporters go on strike

The newsroom at The Times employs more than 1,800 people. Compensation is the negotiation’s most contentious topic.

Yobe State House of Assembly

States

Yobe parliament suspends revenue board chairman nominee’s screening

The Yobe House of Assembly has suspended the screening of Sani Kaitafi as Chairman of the state Internal Revenue Board.

Sadiya Umar Farouq and N-Power

Anti-Corruption

N-Power: Sadiya Farouq promises to support ICPC’s fraud investigation

Humanitarian minister Sadiya Umar Farouq has pledged to support the ICPC in its investigation of alleged fraud in the N-Power Programme.

Polaris Bank and Intercontinental Hotel, Lagos

Economy

Appeal Court reverses Polaris Bank’s sale of Intercontinental Hotel

In a unanimous judgment, three judges of the court ruled that Milan Industries had fully reimbursed the bank for the N2 billion mortgage facility it obtained from Polaris Bank.

A composite of President Muhammadu Buhari, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo and Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management, Sadiya Umar Farouq used to illustrate the story

Economy

EXCLUSIVE: Buhari humiliates Osinbajo; discards vice president’s social safety bill on Sadiya Farouq’s objection

Documents reviewed by Peoples Gazette revealed how the humanitarian affairs minister thwarted the vice president’s years-long labour on a vital policy.