Chidinma Ojukwu’s trial adjourned as lawyer takes excuse

The murder trial of Chidinma Ojukwu, the alleged killer of Super TV boss, Usifo Ataga, was stalled on Thursday due to the absence of her legal counsel, Onwuka Egwu.
Ms Ojukwu is standing trial for the alleged murder, stealing, and forgery alongside her sister, Chioma Egbuchu, and Adedapo Quadri.
Mr Egwu notified the Lagos High Court in TBS of his absence and applied for vacation on July 7 because he is stuck in Anambra due to flight delay. But legal counsels to the first and second defendants said they were not informed about his absence from court.
The state legal counsel, Adenike Oluwafemi, told the court that they were disappointed that Mr Egwu could not inform them.
She said that their witness was in court for their testimony.
Another counsel, C.J Jiakeponna, announced the appearance for the third defendant, Ms Egbuchu.
Counsel to the second defendant, Babatunde Busari, said the previous legal representative to Ms Egbuchu had requested an adjournment during the last sitting saying he needed time to read the documents.
He added that now there is a new legal counsel to the third defendant which might mean another delay of proceedings.
The judge, Yetunde Adesanya, warned that going forward such scenarios will not play out again, as legal counsel would not be allowed to use excuses to delay the process.
The judge adjourned the case till October 4 and 6.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members
“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Hot news Home top
‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Politics
Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti
Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

Economy
Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz
President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

World
Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday
Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Africa
Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history
WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.






