Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Congolese province bans wakes to curb Ebola spread

Authorities further ordered that public gatherings should not exceed 50 people and also suspended local football leagues.

• May 23, 2026
Health workers fighting Ebola used to illustrate story (Photo Credit:NBC News)

Authorities in northeastern Congo on Friday banned wakes to curb Ebola spread, a day afterresidents torched part of a hospital when they were denied access to a victim’s body.

Ituri is the epicentre of the latest Ebola outbreak caused by Bundibugyo virus disease (BVD), for which there is no treatment or vaccine.

The provincial government also banned the transport of deceased Ebola victims in non-medical vehicles and said burials must be carried out in a specialised manner.

Authorities further ordered that public gatherings should not exceed 50 people and also suspended local football leagues.

The body of a deceased Ebola patient remains infectious, and the World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends that “safe and dignified burials” are necessary to curb transmission. Burials organised in unsafe manners have been identified as the leading cause of transmission.

“Anyone who touches the body during ‌carrying, washing, shrouding, or moving is at extremely high risk of contracting the virus,” said an official of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent societies.

The outbreak accelerated after a victim died in Bunia, Ituri’s capital, on April 24, and mourners touched him during the funeral rites.

On Thursday, a section of Rwampara General Hospital in Ituri Province, where Ebola patients are cared for, was set ablaze by family and friends of a footballer who died from the disease.

The incident occurred after health officials prevented the group from forcibly removing the body of Eli Munongo Wangu for burial.

The WHO said on Friday that about 750 suspected cases and 177 deaths had been recorded in northeastern Congo. Two cases were also detected in Uganda.

The global health body also elevated the risk of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola to “very high” nationally in DR Congo and high regionally.

“These numbers are changing as surveillance efforts and laboratory testing are improving, but violence and insecurity are impeding the response,” WHO Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus said.

“We are trying to catch up,” Congo Foreign Minister Thérèse Wagner told the AP. “It is a race against the clock.”

Ms Wagner said that Congolese authorities had increased efforts to trace contacts of infected people, while emergency supplies were being rapidly delivered to Ituri.

Symptoms of Ebola typically appear within two to 21 days after direct contact with bodily fluids and include body aches, vomiting, and diarrhoea.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

victims rescued in Katsina

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina

Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

Nnaji Chidiebere

States

Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu

Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

U.S. Department of Justice

World

U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft

Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

Governor Hyacinth Alia

States

Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval

The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Riley Moore and Bola Tinubu

Heading 1

Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker

“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

President Bola Tinubu

NationWide

Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections

“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.