Friday, August 21, 2026

Court remands three over alleged N30 million Canadian visa fraud

Three suspected fraudsters have been remanded in the Agodi Correctional Centre, Ibadan, over alleged N30 million visa fraud.

• August 21, 2026
created by photogrid

The Oyo State High Court, Ibadan has remanded three suspected fraudsters in a correctional centre over their alleged involvement in N30 million Canadian visa fraud.

In a statement on Thursday, the EFCC said the suspects were arraigned before Justice Olusola Adetujoye in separate cases involving allegations of forgery, uttering of documents and obtaining money by false pretence.

The suspects were identified as Emmanuel Serah Motunrayo, Awotunde Olugbenga and Idowu Olugbemi Sunday.     

Ms Motunrayo alongside Mr Olugbenga were arraigned on a 47-count charge bordering on forgery, uttering of documents and obtaining money by false pretence to the tune of 23 million naira.

Some of the counts read, “That you, Emmanuel Serah Motunrayo ‘F’ and Awotunde Olugbenga ‘M’ on or about 1st March, 2025 at Ibadan, Oyo State within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court, with intent to defraud, obtained the sum of N527, 000.00 (Five Hundred and Twenty Seven Thousand Naira) only from Oluwatobi Adeoluwa Iyanda by falsely representing to him that you will secure a valid Canadian visa, flight ticket which pretenses you knew to be false, thereby committed an offence of Obtaining Money by False Pretense, an offence contrary to Section 419 of the Criminal Code Law Cap 38, Laws of Oyo State, 2000.”

“That you, Emmanuel Serah Motunrayo ‘F’ and Awotunde Olugbenga ‘M’ sometimes in 2025, at Ibadan within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court, did make a false document to wit: Canadian Visa dated 20th day of June, 2025 with Travel Doc. No. B011745448 in the name of Iyanda Oluwatobi Adeoluwa which is purported to have been issued by the Government of Canada, thereby committed an offence of Forgery contrary to Section 465 of the Criminal Code Act, Cap C38, Laws of the Federation Nigeria, 2004.”

Another count reads, “That you, Emmanuel Serah Motunrayo ‘F’ and Awotunde Olugbenga ‘M’ sometimes in 2025, at Ibadan within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court, fraudulently uttered a false document to wit: Canadian Visa dated 6th day of July 2025 with Travel Doc. No. B50125702 in the name of Oyewale Tunji Bello purported to have been issued by the Government of Canada with intent that it may be acted upon as genuine, thereby committed an offence of Uttering contrary to Section 468 of the Criminal Code Act, Cap C38, Laws of the Federation Nigeria, 20004.”

The EFCC stated that the defendants also issued another forged Canadian visa dated July 6, 2025, bearing travel document number B50125702 in the name of Oyewale Tunji Bello.

The commission said Ms Motunrayo and Mr Olugbenga allegedly received N12.36 million from Mr Iyanda and N11.04 million from Mr Bello before reneging on their promises.

The defendants pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Following their pleas, EFCC counsel, Mohammed Abideen, asked the court to remand them in a correctional facility and fix a date for trial.

Howvere, defence counsel, Jimoh Wasiu, told the court that bail applications had been filed and urged the court to admit his clients to bail.

The court adjourned until August 26, 2026, for hearing of the bail applications and remanded the defendants at the Agodi Correctional Centre.

In a separate case, the EFCC on Monday arraigned Idowu Olugbemi Sunday before Justice Adetujoye over N6.65 million fraud.

Mr Sunday was charged with four counts of forgery, uttering of documents and obtaining money by false pretence after allegedly collecting N6.65 million from Okanlawon Tunji Ajao to secure Canadian visas for him and his family.

The EFCC said the offence was committed between June 2025 and January 2026 in Ibadan.

The suspect pleaded not guilty to the charges.

However, EFCC counsel, Lanre Suleiman, asked the court to remand the defendant and set a date for trial, while his lawyer, Tiwalade Shittu, informed the court that a bail application had been filed.

The matter was adjourned until August 26 for hearing of the bail application, while Mr Sunday was remanded in custody.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

wike and Tinubu

Politics

Tinubu will get more support from opposition for his 2027 re-election bid: Wike

Mr Wike stated that Governor Ademola Adeleke’s visit to Mr Tinubu indicated political support intended to strengthen the president.

BITCOINS

World

Bitcoin heads for best week in three years; gold set for biggest monthly gain in century

Bitcoin rose by seven per cent on Friday and 23 per cent this week to $77,380, while gold is up 13 per cent in August.

Guards Brigade

NationWide

Guards ‌⁠‍‍⁠⁠‌‌‍‍⁠‍⁠‌‌brigade tests officers’ combat readiness in proficiency competition

The competition commenced on August 17 with obstacle crossing, weapon handling, map reading, kilometre combat run and combat swimming.

NationWide

Paramilitary recruitment process to be completed in four weeks: Board

The board is currently recruiting into the NSCDC, the Federal Fire Service, the Nigeria Immigration Service and the Nigerian Correctional Service.

World

Iran vows to overcome ‘unjust sanctions’ as U.S. pressure mounts

“We must make plans to deal with the unjust sanctions so ⁠that we can overcome them,” Iranian parliament speaker Mohammed Baqer Qalibaf said.