Monday, January 17, 2022

COVID-19: British official proposes “tougher restrictions” to combat virus

The first national coronavirus lockdown in May 2019 prompted a 25 percent drop in economic output.

• January 4, 2021
Boris John or Matt Hancock

Britain’s Health secretary, Matt Hancock, on Monday said there was need to tighten restrictions in some areas of the country to tackle the rapid spread of a new variant of the coronavirus after case numbers surged in recent weeks.

Cases of COVID-19 have risen sharply in the UK in recent weeks, fuelled by a new and more transmissible variant of the virus.

On Sunday, there were nearly 55,000 new cases and in total more than 75,000 people in the country have died with COVID-19 during the pandemic – the second highest toll in Europe.

England is currently divided into four different tiers of restrictions, depending on the prevalence of the virus, and Hancock said the rules in some parts of the country in Tier 3 were clearly not working.

“There is very worrying data that shows the virus continues to spread,” Mr. Hancock said.

“We can see that in some of the Tier 3 areas cases are rising sharply so clearly more action – as the prime minister said – is going to be needed.”

“The new variant of this disease transmits from person to person so much easier than the old one.”

Asked on Sky News if the government was considering imposing a new national lockdown, he answered: “We don’t rule anything out.”

The government has spent the year trying to balance the need to shut down the country to contain the virus without hammering the economy.

The first national coronavirus lockdown in May 2019 prompted a 25 percent drop in economic output – unprecedented in modern records – leaving Britain’s economy harder hit by the pandemic than most others.

While the economy recovered partially in the third quarter, renewed lockdown measures threaten to cause a double-dip recession at the start of 2021.

More from Peoples Gazette

Matawalle and Bandits

States

Zamfara community storms govt house over persistent attacks despite paying over N200 million ransom

Mr Abdullahi said the community had suffered more than 13 attacks, lost more than 50 persons and have spent over N200 million in the last two years as ransom.

Liverpool Vs Brentford

Sport

Liverpool thrash Brentford, displace Chelsea from second spot on EPL log

Liverpool are now second on the EPL log with 45 points in 21 games, displacing Chelsea who had 43 points in 22 games so far.

Bola Tinubu and President Muhammadu Buhari

Politics

Buhari should use necessary means to crush bandits, says Tinubu

The APC chieftain, who is aspiring to become Nigeria’s president in 2023, has revved up visitations to politicians in the name of sympathy.

Dopemu Road

Lagos

Lagos to close Babajide Sanwo-Olu Road for repairs; announces traffic diversions

The traffic diversions and road rehabilitation would last for three months, Lagos transport commissioner said.

Jigawa CP, Aliyu Sale and Bandits

States

Bandits abduct 15 villagers in Niger; police beg for search tips

Police spokesman in the state, Wasiu Abiodun, in a statement in Minna on Sunday, said the victims were abducted at about 02:00 a.m. on Friday.

A chaotic cable connection

Enugu

South-East customers bypassing meters, stealing energy too much: EEDC

EEDC warned that if electricity theft was not abated, energy services in the region would be jeopardised.