Friday, August 21, 2026

Death sentence of Owo church attackers warning to defiant terrorists: SSS Lawyer

Mr Nwite had sentenced four of the five defendants prosecuted by the SSS to death by hanging.

• June 3, 2026
Terrorists
Terrorists (Photo Credit: ICIR Nigeria)

State Security Service (SSS) lawyer, Ayodeji Adedipe, SAN, has said that the judgement of the court on the four convicts over their involvement in the Owo church attack is a warning to terrorists who engage in heinous crimes.

Mr Adedipe stated this during an interview with journalists shortly after a judgement was delivered by Justice Emeka Nwite of the Federal High Court in Abuja on Wednesday.

Mr Nwite had sentenced four of the five defendants prosecuted by the SSS to death by hanging following the establishment of their participation in the June 5, 2022, attack on St. Francis Catholic Church in Owo, Ondo State.

The senior lawyer, who described the judgement as “sound,” said it reflected the facts and the law.

“The judge did a very thorough job. The judgment had lasted for over three hours.

“He examined and evaluated all the pieces of evidence adduced and correctly applied the law,” he said.

According to him, they were not surprised because the investigation that led to the prosecution of the case was not only forensic, it was thorough.

“The SSS did a very thorough and painstaking investigation and it was on this basis that the trial was anchored.

“Therefore, the evidence adduced by the prosecution was ironclad.

“So we are not surprised the judgment came out the way it did.

“Now, 1st to 4th defendants had been convicted for an act of terrorism as a result of their participation in the attack where over 40 worshippers who merely went to worship God were killed in cold blood.

“Over 100 others were also injured in that attack.

“So we are happy because justice has been served; justice has been done to the deceased who were murdered in cold blood.

“Justice has been done to their family members; justice has been done to the Owo community and justice has been done to society at large.

“So, we are very happy,” he said.

Mr Adedipe described the judgement as “another statement; a bold statement by the federal government that for some of them that are still carrying on acts of terrorism and other heinous crimes, they can only run, they cannot hide.”

According to him, the long hand of the law will catch up with them.

“And if you live by the sword, you will die by the sword.

“So this is a statement by the Federal Government, which provided the enabling environment and the facilities for the SSS to do their job.

“We are, indeed, very happy about this judgment, particularly as the maximum sentence has been imposed on the 1st to 4th defendants, having been convicted of acts of terrorism and sentenced to death by hanging,” he said.

On what the SSS would do about the 5th defendant who was discharged and acquitted by the court, he said: “We are going to meet with our clients and review the judgment vis-a-vis the evidence.

“Then we will determine the next step to take.”

In his response, counsel to the defendants, Abdullahi Muhammed, faulted the judgement.

He told the media that they would appeal the judgement.

The four convicts are Idris Abdulmalik Omeiza, 25; Al Qasim Idris, 20; Jamiu Abdulmalik, 26; and Abdulhaleem Idris, 25, while Momoh Otuho Abubakar, 47, was freed. 

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Police officers

Lagos

Lagos police nab six over viral video of miscreants harassing motorists

Ms Adebisi said the command was already aware of the activities of the miscreants. 

Corps members

Heading 3

NYSC DG urges corps members to remain politically neutral, obey scheme rules

According to him, adherence to the core values of the scheme remains non-negotiable.

African Democratic Party (ADC)

States

ADC cautions Jigawa government against unregulated mining

He warned that inadequate mining regulations could provide opportunities for bandits. 

Brandon Hudspeth, Ifeanyi Ossai and others signed a document of cooperation at the National Museum, Onikan.

States

Enugu receives $125,000 U.S. grant for preservation of Lejja Iron-Smelting site

Mr Hudspeth said the grant is aimed at transforming and providing digital documentation of the site. 

President Bola Tinubu and Governor Ademola Adeleke

States

Tinubu urges Adeleke to promote unity, reconciliation in Osun

The president urged Mr Adeleke to focus on governance and improving the welfare of Osun residents. 

The FCT Minister of State, Dr Mahmoud Mariya

Abuja

Mahmoud calls on churches, mosques to promote peace ahead of 2027 elections

Ms Mahmoud urged citizens to continue supporting and praying for Mr Tinubu.