Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Ebubeagu: Abia says “murderous” regional security outfit has done no wrong, won’t be disbanded

Operatives of the regional security group were allegedly linked to the killing of 14 persons.

• August 3, 2022
Ebubeagu Security and Okezie Ikpeazu
Ebubeagu Security and Okezie Ikpeazu

Abia will not disband Ebubeagu Security Network, the state Commissioner for Homeland Security, Sopuruchi Bekee said Tuesday, jettisoning the demands of protesters who want the regional outfit demobilised.

Demonstrations have escalated across the South-East and spiralled into Abia on Tuesday as scores of young protesters railed against alleged extrajudicial killings and other inhumane practices said to have been perpetrated by the Ebubeagu network in the region.

Operatives of the regional security group were allegedly linked to the killing of 14 persons, mostly youths, who had reportedly attended a wedding in Imo last month.

In Abia, protesters chanted anti-Ebubeagu songs as they moved from the popular Ariaria International Market to Aba North Local Government Area. They described Ebubeagu as a murderous outfit. 

Many carried placards with inscriptions such as: “We don’t know whose turn it will be next’’; “We must rise against these barbaric acts on our land’’; “End Ebubeagu now, Igbo land is bleeding.’’

Mr Bekee told journalists in Aba that the regional security network hasn’t committed any crime in Abia to warrant its disbandment.

Ebubeagu is more prominently seen in southeastern Ebonyi and Imo states and hardly operates in Abia since its creation by the region’s governors.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Rear Admiral Yaminu Musa

NationWide

Buhari appoints Yanimu Musa head of National Counter Terrorism Centre

Before his appointment, Mr Musa had been the Director of the Counter Terrorism Directorate in the ONSA since 2017.

Emmanuel Osodeke

Education

ASUU strike continues as Buhari regime fails to accede lecturers’ demands 

A top ASUU operative said the three-hour meeting ended without any commitment to resolving the issue by either parties.

INEC Photo (Credit: Punch Newspapers)

Politics

INEC redeploys two RECs, eight senior officials

The redeployed RECs according to Mr Okoye were Dr Cyril Omorogbe from Cross River to Akwa-Ibom; and Dr Alalibo Sinikiem from Edo to Rivers.

Muhammad Bello

Abuja

Abuja safest, most peaceful city in Nigeria: Minister

Mr Mohammed added that efforts being made by the FCTA to curb insecurity in Abuja were numerous.

Minister for Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq.

States

We spend N24 billion annually on poverty alleviation schemes in Sokoto: Minister

“It is consistent with President Buhari’s deliberate National agenda of lifting 100 million Nigerians out of poverty in 10 years.”

Dollar and Naira

Economy

Naira loses value against dollar, exchanges at N430.67 at I&E window

The figure represented a decrease of 0.16 per cent compared with the N430 it exchanged for the dollar on Monday.