Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Kidnapped Kogi school principal, NECO official, students regain freedom

Gunmen, on Tuesday, abducted a principal, NECO official and students during exam in Kogi school.

• July 16, 2026
Armed policemen

The Kogi State Government says the kidnapped school principal, a National Examinations Council (NECO) official, and students writing the ongoing NECO examination at Olowa in Dekina Local Government Area have been rescued.

In a statement on Thursday, the Commissioner for Information, Kingsley Femi Fanwo, said the victims were rescued following a coordinated security operation ordered by Governor Ahmed Ododo immediately after the incident. 

“Just this evening, while inspecting the Armoured Personnel Carriers procured by the Kogi State Government to strengthen the fight against criminality, the Governor assured newsmen that every effort was being made to secure the release of the victims.

“A few hours later, the victims regained their freedom. The sustained pressure on the kidnappers and the saturation of the forest by heavily armed security personnel forced the criminals to abandon the victims and flee,” he said.

Peoples Gazette earlier reported that gunmen invaded Government Secondary School, Odo-Ekina in the Dekina Area of the state where the school principal, NECO official and students writing the ongoing examination were abducted on Tuesday.

“Security operatives remain in the forest and the operation is still ongoing. We are determined to ensure that none of the criminals escapes justice. Our resolve is clear: anyone who chooses the path of crime in Kogi State will face the full weight of the law.

“We can confirm that the School Principal, the NECO official and the two students have all been rescued safely. They are hale and hearty and are currently with security agencies for debriefing and necessary medical checks,” he added.

Mr Fanwo said the state security adviser, alongside the leadership of the 12 Brigade and the 21 Battalion of the Nigerian Army, the State Security Service (SSS), the police, and local security operatives, stormed the forest to secure the victims’ release.

Mr Fanwo expressed the appreciation of the Kogi State Government to President Bola Tinubu for his steadfast support for the state’s security efforts.

The commander of the 21 Battalion of the Nigerian Army, Lr Col. Godiya Solomon Monde had earlier said that troops had blocked exit points and were working to rescue the abducted victim.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Asake and his Louis Vuitton trunk

Showbiz

Netizens react as Asake flaunts multimillion-naira Louis Vuitton trunk

Netizens have reacted after Asake flaunted a trunk showcasing an ultra-luxury Louis Vuitton collection reportedly worth N93 million.

Mani Tsoho and others

Health

Gwarzo council sponsors 20 women for free midwifery training

Gwarzo council area in Kano has sponsored 20 women for free midwifery training.

Building collapse in Kano

States

Kano govt urges residents to obtain permits before erecting buildings

KNUPDA has urged residents to obtain building permits before construction to prevent building collapse and protect lives and property.

Wande Coal and Davido

Showbiz

Wande Coal, Davido clash over unreleased collaboration ‘Come My Way’

Wande Coal and Davido have clashed on social media over an unreleased collaboration, ‘Come My Way’.

Nigerians evacuated from South Africa

Africa

Xenophobic Attacks: 83 Nigerians evacuated from South Africa arrive in Lagos on Wednesday

The foreign affairs ministry says a new batch of 83 Nigerian returnees from South Africa will arrive in the country on Wednesday.

Timfon John

States

Police nab suspected hoodlum, recover firearm in Akwa Ibom

The police command in Akwa Ibom says it has apprehended a suspected hoodlum and recovered a locally made single-barrel gun in the process.