Edo police arrest suspects in viral school bullying incident, to charge them to family court

The police command in Edo State said it has identified all individuals directly connected to the school bullying incident and has arrested those implicated.
In a statement on Saturday by its spokeswoman, Eno Ikoedem, the command disclosed that all implicated persons would be charged to the state’s Family Court in line with extant laws.
“The Edo State Police Command wishes to update the general public on the viral bullying incident which has generated widespread concern and public reactions across the state,” the statement said.
“Following a thorough and painstaking investigation, the Command confirms that all individuals directly connected to the incident have been identified, while those implicated have been apprehended and are being charged to the Family Court in accordance with extant laws guiding juvenile justice and child protection,” it added.
The police spokesperson said preliminary investigations revealed that the incident originally began on Thursday, March 5, and involved two 14-year-old female students, who had a disagreement with another colleague.
During the disagreement, the colleague reportedly abused the late father of the two girls, specifically saying, “Ogun kill your papa.”
“Angered by the remark, the girls allegedly attacked the student after school hours. In the course of the assault, a parent, who had come to pick up her son, intervened, but the two girls, still enraged, turned on the woman, physically confronting her and dragging her clothes,” Ms Ikoedem stated.
The police spokesperson said the school management subsequently intervened and expelled the girls over the misconduct.
She added that the viral school bullying incident occurred a day after the girls’ suspension and involved a male student, whose mother had been earlier attacked by the girls.
Ms Ikoedem said the male student attacked the victim in the viral video as an intended revenge assault.
“On the following day, being Friday 06/03/2026, a retaliatory incident occurred. The male student, whose mother was earlier assaulted, attacked the victim in the viral video in what has been identified as a revenge assault, which was recorded and posted by one of the students. The victim being the brother of the girls that assaulted his mother,” Ms Ikoedem said.
To forestall a recurrence of the incident, the state’s Commissioner of Police, Monday Agbonika, directed the immediate deployment and intensification of the Operation Safe Schools Initiative across secondary schools in the state.
The command said the initiative would help identify gaps in supervision and leverage lessons learned from the viral incident.
It added that another initiative, the Police Campaign Against Cultism and Other Vices (POCACOV), has also been strategically mobilised to engage students and school administrators through advocacy and sensitisation training.
Encouraging students to shun violence and appropriately report grievances, the command tasked parents, guardians, and school authorities to take greater responsibility in the moral upbringing and supervision of their children and wards.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Showbiz
Kamsy emerges third housemate evicted from BBNaija Season 11
Her departure came as a fresh reminder that popularity inside the house does not necessarily translate into enough public votes.

Sport
Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to win first WAFCON title
Cameroon thus became the fourth nation to win the WAFCON, joining record champions Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea and South Africa.

NationWide
Alake warns illegal operators against mining abandoned pits
The minister said the tragedy could have been averted if the illegal miners formed a cooperative and applied for the necessary permit.

States
Police arrest Kogi man for setting wife on fire
The state Commissioner of Police, Naziru Kankarofi, condemned the attack, describing it as “barbaric and unacceptable.”

Showbiz
Spider-Man: Brand New Day’ rakes $2 billion at global box office
Marvel and Sony’s “Spider-Man: Brand New Day” has grossed $2 billion at the global box office after only three weeks in theatres







