Edo police foil kidnap attempt, rescue three

Operatives from the Okada Division of the Edo State police command, on Saturday, rescued three passengers from being kidnapped along the Benin-Lagos Expressway.
In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the command, Moses Yamu, said suspected kidnappers had just intercepted the vehicle conveying the victims when the operatives engaged them in a gun duel, forcing them to flee and abandon the victims.
According to Mr Yamu, the operatives, led by CSP Opatoyinbo John, were on routine patrol at Morgan and Isiuwa slope along the highway, at about 02:30 a.m., in response to a distress call about a kidnapping attempt.
Mr Yamu said, “Armed hoodlums had barricaded the highway with woods and opened sporadic gunfire in an attempt to intercept and abduct the occupants of a Toyota Sienna vehicle with registration number KUJ 342 CU (Abuja). The vehicle, driven by one Nana Aghogho ‘M’, aged 51 years, was conveying fingerling fish from Lagos State to Akwa Ibom State with two passengers on board.
“On sighting the gunmen, the gallant operatives engaged them in a fierce exchange of fire, forcing the hoodlums to abandon their criminal mission and flee into the nearby bush. The driver and his two passengers, Oseghale Mathias ‘M’ (40yrs) and John Edobor ‘M’ (24yrs), were rescued unhurt. The barricades placed by the hoodlums were immediately cleared, thereby restoring free flow of traffic and ensuring the safety of other road users.”
The police spokesperson also disclosed that operatives from the Ekpoma Division, on Saturday, rescued one other victim who had been kidnapped and held in a bush since Wednesday.
“In a related development, operatives of the Ekpoma Divisional Headquarters, led by SP Nelson Igbinoba, today rescued and reunited with the family, a female victim, Elohor Osifoh, earlier kidnapped on 10th September, 2025, after days of relentless bush combing rescue operation.”
Commending the gallantry and prompt response by the operatives, the Commissioner of Police, Monday Agbonika, assured residents of his command’s resilience and commitment to rid the state of criminal elements.
He urged road users to remain vigilant and report suspicious movements to the nearest police formation for swift action.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Faith
Emir of Rano to lead Kano pilgrims for 2027 Hajj: Gov. Yusuf
The CPS said that the emir and the emirate thanked the governor for the singular honour.

Heading 2
Troops kill one suspected kidnapper, arrest two others in Benue
Mr Zubairu noted that the other members of the group fled in disarray.

Heading 4
Public service measured by impact, not years in office, Fagbemi says
Mr Fagbemi commended the management and staff of the NCC.

Heading 5
Kano, FG expanding irrigation infrastructure to boost food security, economic developmentÂ
Mr Yusuf commended the federal government for its intervention.

Abuja
Completion of abandoned projects hallmark of my three-year tenure: WikeÂ
Mr Wike said his team had remained committed to its mandate despite initial challenges.

NationWide
Stakeholders fault remittance of unclaimed dividends to DMO
The shareholders said unclaimed dividends remained the property of investors.






