Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Eid-el-Maulud: Military warns against procession

The special task force, Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), has warned youths to shelve their plans to hold a mass procession celebrating the Maulud in Jos.

• October 19, 2021

The special task force, Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), has warned youths to shelve their plans to hold a mass procession celebrating the Maulud in Jos.

Maj. Ishaku Takwa, the spokesman for the task force who gave the warning in a statement on Monday, added that the military would not allow any acts capable of truncating the fragile peace currently being enjoyed in the state.

The army further warned that anyone caught organising a procession without the knowledge of the Jama’atul Nasir Islam (JNI) and the security agencies would be dealt with.

“While we felicitate with the entire Muslim Ummah on the birthday of Prophet Muhammad (SAW) and recognising the right of people to hold processions under different circumstances, it is, however, expedient to state that the fragile peace on the Plateau does not present a conducive atmosphere for any form of procession at this moment,” the army statement said.

It added, “We, therefore, wish to draw the attention of youths and members of the public that the ban on any kind of protest and procession by the state government is still in force. Consequently, we call on the Muslim faithful to observe the Maulud without any form of a procession.”

According to the statement, the commander of the task force, Maj.-Gen. Ibrahim Ali directed troops to ensure that no group organises any form of procession during the celebration.

He said the task force had been working with the support of the Plateau government, traditional and religious leaders, critical stakeholders and law-abiding citizens to ensure a peaceful Plateau.

The army advised residents of the state to be vigilant and report any suspicious movements to the security agencies for a swift response. 

(NAN) 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Africa

WHO confirms 29 dead in 63 confirmed Ebola cases in Uganda 

WHO is working diligently in Uganda to support the government in responding to an Ebola outbreak in four districts.

Adetunji Adeleye

States

Amotekun impounds 80 ‘Okadas’ in Ondo for violating restriction order

The seizure came after the governor Rotimi Akeredolu-led state government ordered a ban on the movement of commercial motorcyclists at night.

Festus Keyamo and Bola Tinubu cycling

Heading 3

Tinubu loves cycling; he’s strongest presidential candidate: Festus Keyamo

“People who are close to him, they know that he’s an avid cyclist; he does that all the time. It’s his routine.”

TCN and Sule Abdulaziz

Heading 1

FG to add 817 megawatts to national grid: TCN

The project will add five transmission substations, 143 kilometers of 330 Kilo Volts (KVs) and 81 kilometers of 132 KV transmission lines to Abuja.

National Central Bureau and Vice President, Interpol Africa, Garba Umar and NDLEA Chairman, Buba Marwa

NationWide

NDLEA signs MoU with Interpol to share criminals data

Mr Marwa said drug business was international in scope.

Nigerian trading floor

Economy

Investors lose N227 billion after selloffs in Tier-1 banks stocks

The All-Share Index (ASI) also lost 43.04 points or 0.09 per cent to close at 48,836.70 compared with 48,879.74 posted on Tuesday.