El-Rufai asks telcos to return to Kaduna as ban fails to stop bandits, other criminals
Governor Nasir El-Rufai on Friday asked telecom operators to return to Kaduna, three months after imposing signal restrictions in order to check rampaging armed bandits and other violent crime syndicates.
Home affairs commissioner Samuel Aruwan said in a statement Friday afternoon that the state had notified operators to return to business. The ban was imposed in September when security agencies and telecoms regulator NCC said blocking signals across the state could help frustrate bandits’ activities.
Armed bandits have been blamed for hundreds of attacks on civilians, including constant abduction of schoolchildren, this year alone. A federal court recently authorised the Buhari administration to designate some bandits as terrorists.
Months after telecom networks were shut down across Kaduna, banditary failed to cease, prompting critics to express vindication about their earlier concerns that the restrictions will only strengthen coordination amongst bandits while making it difficult for citizens to report attacks from remote communities. The ban also failed to frustrate bandits who have long relied on walkie-talkies to perpetrate their deadly exploits.
Kaduna government, however, said the ban on motorcycles, main markets, and selling of fuel in kegs remains in force.
More from Peoples Gazette
Mr Abdullahi said the community had suffered more than 13 attacks, lost more than 50 persons and have spent over N200 million in the last two years as ransom.
Liverpool are now second on the EPL log with 45 points in 21 games, displacing Chelsea who had 43 points in 22 games so far.
The APC chieftain, who is aspiring to become Nigeria’s president in 2023, has revved up visitations to politicians in the name of sympathy.
The traffic diversions and road rehabilitation would last for three months, Lagos transport commissioner said.
Police spokesman in the state, Wasiu Abiodun, in a statement in Minna on Sunday, said the victims were abducted at about 02:00 a.m. on Friday.
EEDC warned that if electricity theft was not abated, energy services in the region would be jeopardised.