#EndSARS Anniversary: Respect protesters rights or risk anarchy, Saraki tells police

Former Senate President Bukola Saraki has commended Nigerian youth protesting against police brutality and injustices, as scores gather at the Lekki toll gate to mark the one-year anniversary of the #EndSARS protest.
Mr Saraki urged Nigerians in a statement on Wednesday morning not to forget the peaceful protest that was held last year.
Calling for comprehensive police reforms, Mr Saraki criticised the federal government for not resolving the issues that led to the protest a year after.
“It is worrying that despite the acceptance of the “5 for 5 Demands,” nothing has really been done to resolve the issues that caused protests in the first place,” he said.
Mr Saraki who served as the 13th President of the Nigeria Senate, mentioned that the security operatives guilty of the crimes against Nigerians during the protest have not been prosecuted or brought to justice.
“None of the policemen accused of torturing and extrajudicially murdering Nigerian citizens have been brought to justice, there has been no marked improvement in the funding or quality of equipment available to the Nigerian Police Force and these incidents of torture continue in many security facilities nationwide,” Mr Saraki said.
He condemned a situation where many young Nigerians remain in police detention without, adding that rather than trial abide by the laws, the police continue to threaten Nigerians that are expressing their rights to protest.
“None of the perpetrators of the attacks on Nigerians exercising their rights to peaceful assembly have been arrested or prosecuted, despite many of them being identified.
“Similarly, none of the perpetrators of mindless acts of destruction and looting of property worth billions of Naira have been arrested or brought to justice,” he said.
He asked the federal government to engage with Nigerians and respect their “constitutional rights and freedoms or face the risk of creating an atmosphere that enables a breakdown of law and order.”
The former senate president said “Today represents an opportunity for the government to begin the police and justice sector reforms our country so badly needs. It is an opportunity I appeal to the government to take,” he added.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina
Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

States
Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu
Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

World
U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft
Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

States
Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval
The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Heading 1
Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker
“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

NationWide
Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections
“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.






