#EndSARS: IG Adamu’s directive ‘lame, empty’: Amnesty International

Amnesty International on Tuesday slammed federal authorities for failing to curb the excesses of the controversial police squad, SARS.
Amnesty’s Nigeria office said Inspector-General Muhammed Adamu’s directive which restricted SARS from Nigerian roads came too late and insufficient.
“This is yet another lame attempt to rein in this unit of the Nigerian police which is notorious for the widespread torture and other ill-treatment of Nigerians,” Amnesty’s Nigeria lead Osai Ojigho said in a statement Tuesday evening. “We have seen from bitter experience that past investigations into violations were either never carried out or marred by irregularities.”
“To date, the Nigerian authorities have yet to show a genuine commitment to ending the lawless activities of SARS,” Mrs. Ojigho said.
Mr. Adamu announced on Sunday that police officers under the SARS unit should stop mounting roadblocks or conducting routing checks across Nigeria, a directive that citizens immediately saw as repetitive and insincere.
Mr. Adamu had issued similar directives in 2017, 2018 and earlier in 2020, all of which were either scantily implemented or ignored outright by rogue elements within the unit.
The directive came as anger flared against the Force Headquarters for failing to rein in the brutality of SARS operatives, who have been blamed for killing, maiming, extorting and blackmailing Nigerians — essentially becoming the menace they were tasked to combat.
Buhari administration officials, including Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo, youth minister Sunday Dare and the police minister, expressed concerns and said efforts were underway to save Nigerians from the nightmare of rogue officers.
But the global rights body said several reports in the past that exposed SARS brutality were ignored by the Nigerian authorities, and those that were investigated were never never followed up with disciplinary actions.
“Such abuses will only be prevented when SARS officers are held to account for their actions and face disciplinary or criminal punishment if they are found to be responsible for human rights violations,” Mrs. Ojigho said in the statement to Peoples Gazette.
“The authorities have an obligation to protect Nigerians and bring to justice those who violate their human rights. Unless the authorities follow through with their promises to reform SARS and end the frequent extortion and ill-treatment of Nigerians, their empty words will be just that,” she said.
Amnesty International has conducted its independent probe of SARS for several years. In a 2018 report, titled: Nigeria: Time to End Impunity, the rights group exposed how Nigerian youth were inflicted with injuries as they were detained for extensive periods and being forced to confess by SARS operatives.
The Nigerian government took no action after the report, and several others before and after it, was published.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries
Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

States
Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara
The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Heading 5
Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun
The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence.

Abuja
Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas
According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system.

Heading 4
NFF sacks Super Falcons coach, technical team After WAFCON, World Cup qualification failures
Mr Madugu led the team to their 10th WAFCON title in July 2025.

Sport
Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest
In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.






