“EU prepared for every scenario,” president vows over Trump’s tariff threat

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen says the EU is “prepared for every scenario” if U.S. President Donald Trump proceeds with plans to raise tariffs on EU vehicles.
Last week, Mr Trump announced that he would increase tariffs on cars and trucks from 15 to 25 per cent, alleging the EU’s failure to comply with the trade deal.
Ms von der Leyen said on Tuesday in Armenia that the EU-U.S. trade deal was binding and set limits on tariff changes.
“A deal is a deal, and we have a deal,” she said. “And the essence of this deal is prosperity, common rules, and reliability.”
“We want from this work (to achieve) mutual gain, cooperation, and reliability. And we’re prepared for every scenario,” she added, suggesting the bloc’s potential retaliation.
Ms von der Leyen said the EU was finalising the implementation of key parts of the trade deal designed to remove tariffs on American goods.
Under the deal negotiated last July at Mr Trump’s golf course in Scotland, the tariffs on goods from the EU to the U.S. were set at 15 per cent. The EU also agreed to invest in the U.S. and to adopt measures expected to boost exports.
A joint statement last year by the EU and the U.S. said Washington was meant to reduce tariffs on EU-made cars once the legislation is introduced, not just after approval.
The U.S. also capped tariffs on EU goods at 15 per cent, restricting additional charges.
In January, the European Parliament put the deal on hold amid tensions over Mr Trump’s threat to annex Greenland, a self-governing territory in Denmark.
“The alignment with the agreed ceiling is still outstanding,” Ms von der Leyen said and urged respect for the “different democratic procedures.”
The European Commissioner for Trade Maroš Šefčovič is expected to meet later on Tuesday with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Lee Greer to discuss the dispute.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina
Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

States
Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu
Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

World
U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft
Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

States
Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval
The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Heading 1
Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker
“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

NationWide
Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections
“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.






