EU puts Iran’s Revolutionary Guards on terrorist list

The European Union has designated Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) a terrorist sect over the brutal crackdown on protesters that led to death of thousands between December 2025 and January 2026.
The decision came shortly on Thursday in Brussels after France and Italy, both of which had previously resisted the move, fell in line amid mounting outrage over Iran’s violent suppression of demonstrations and the Internet shutdown imposed to stifle the flow of information.
Their support secured the unanimity required among all 27 European Union member states to place the IRGC on the bloc’s terrorist list.
“Any regime that kills thousands of its own people is working toward its own demise,”Kaja Kallas, the EU’s foreign policy chief, wrote on social media Thursday afternoon.
“Repression cannot go unanswered,” Ms. Kallas told reporters after the Thursday EU meeting. “Those who operate through terror must be treated as terrorists.”
The EU has similarly slapped a slew of sanctions on 15 Iranian individuals and six organisations deemed to have committed “serious human rights violations” which include “the use of violence, arbitrary detention, and intimidation tactics by security forces against demonstrators,” the European Union said in a missive.
“The EU is in particular imposing restrictive measures on Eskandar Momeni, Iran’s Minister of the Interior and Head of the National Security Council, and members of Iran’s judicial system including Mohammad Movahedi-Azad, the Prosecutor General, and Iman Afshari, a presiding judge,” the statement added.
Companies involved in censoring protest-related content on social media platforms were also sanctioned.
Separately, the bloc penalised individuals and entities accused of supplying Russia with military weapons for use in its war against Ukraine.
The EU’s designation of the IRGC adds to a growing list of countries including the U.S. and Canada that have already classified the Iranian Guards Corps as a terrorist organisation.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Lagos APC targets three million votes for Tinubu in 2027
Mr Ojelabi said the party’s performance in the 2023 presidential election was disappointing, and urged members to use the 2027 election to redeem its image.

States
Remi Tinubu inaugurates national community food bank for South-West
She said the programme is a deliberate, sustainable response to food insecurity and malnutrition among vulnerable households nationwide.

States
I would have delivered Osun to Tinubu even if people voted against APC: Wike
Mr Wike insisted the outcome of the election would have been different if he had been on the federal government team that went to Osun State.

Opinion
Obiageli Ezekwesili: President Tinubu, terminate the dodgy £746 million ports deal
To my fellow citizens, this deal will worsen Nigeria’s fiscal and economic future. I have spoken. You have a voice. Use it.

States
Kano govt bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores
The Kano State government has banned patent medicine stores across the state from administering intravenous (IV) fluid infusion and blood transfusion.

States
Gov Mbah increases ESUT subvention to N276 million, urges ASUU to suspend strike
The increase brings the state government’s total monthly funding to ESUT from N161 million to N276 million.






