Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Europe’s biggest automaker Volkswagen to sack 100,000 workers

The automaker is also planning to shut down four of its German plants. 

• June 26, 2026
Volkswagen
Volkswagen [Photo credit: Live Law]

Volkswagen, Europe’s biggest automaker, is planning to sack 100,000 of its workers over the next few years.

The automaker is planning to cut 15 per cent of its global workforce, Manager Magazin, a German business magazine, reported on Friday.

“Volkswagen plans to cut up to 100,000 jobs,” the report stated.

The automaker is also planning to shut down four of its German plants, a move that would result in massive job cuts.

“Volkswagen CEO Oliver Blume is getting serious. He plans to drastically intensify job cuts, actually phase out production at four German plants and spin off the VW brand into a new company. Volkswagen is to become a new company,” the report stated.

Mr Blume presented the proposed job cuts to senior executives earlier this week.

Volkswagen has about 660,000 employees worldwide. The automaker had already announced plans to cut 50,000 jobs in Germany by 2030.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

victims rescued in Katsina

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina

Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

Nnaji Chidiebere

States

Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu

Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

U.S. Department of Justice

World

U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft

Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

Governor Hyacinth Alia

States

Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval

The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Riley Moore and Bola Tinubu

Heading 1

Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker

“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

President Bola Tinubu

NationWide

Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections

“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.