Monday, August 17, 2026

FAAN vows to demolish buildings on restricted airports lands

The president of Coalition of South East Youth Leaders, (COSEYL), Lagos chapter, Goodluck Ibem, claimed that the demolitions were fuelled by ethnic hostilities.

• May 2, 2023
Demolished building
Demolished building

The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) says it would demolish all structures illegally built on lands belonging to airports across the country.

FAAN made the pledge after the demolition of 13 houses in Ajao Estate, Lagos, which it claimed encroached on the Lagos airport land.

In tweets on Tuesday, the agency said residents had been warned not to purchase and occupy the lands but they ignored the warnings.

FAAN said its officials met with occupants of the land and most of the residents adhered with their directives while a few ignored the warnings and continued erecting structures in the “Red Zones.”

It added that 254 houses were evaluated and 220 buildings were called for regularisation after an investigation was conducted by the agency to determine whether the houses built on the encroached land posed danger to the activities of Lagos airport.

The management said occupants of 34 houses built within the perimeter of the airport were duly notified before the agency carried out demolition activities in the area. 

On Friday, the General Manager of the Lagos State Building Control Agency, Gbolahan Oki, said developers and property owners should follow the due process before commencing building projects in Lagos.

Mr Oki noted that the Ajao Estate demolition was carried out by the agency in compliance with the planning structure of Lagos.

He said the removal of the 13 illegal structures showed that the government prioritises the living conditions of its residents, adding that the government will not fold its arms and allow the irresponsibility of an individual to cause the death of others. 

Meanwhile, the president of Coalition of South East Youth Leaders, (COSEYL), Lagos chapter, Goodluck Ibem, claimed that the demolitions were fuelled by ethnic hostilities. 

He alleged that houses marked for demolition in Ajao Estate belonged to Igbo people living in Lagos.

Mr Ibem warned the Lagos government to stop demolishing houses belonging to Igbos in Lagos, adding that Nigerians are legally allowed to live in places of their choice around the country.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Ademola Adeleke

Politics

‘I hereby endorse Tinubu for second term in 2027 presidential election,’ Gov Adeleke declares

“My support is just based on the fact that he is a Yoruba man and he’s from the South-West…I will go all out for President Tinubu in 2027,” said Governor Ademola Adeleke.

Governor Nasir Idris

States

Gov Idris drops Abubakar-Tafida, picks ex-finance commissioner as running mate

Governor Nasir Idris has replaced his deputy, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, with ex-finance commissioner Ibrahim Muhammad-Augie as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

Governor Ademola Adeleke and President Bola Tinubu

Opinion

Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics

The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.

Troops with rescued victims

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army

The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby

States

19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby

According to the police, the suspect was under pressure to have a child, as some of her peers had already given birth.

Makinde congratulates Adeleke

Politics

Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections

The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.