Monday, August 17, 2026

FLASH: Abducted Jangebe girls to be released on Sunday

Parents of the kidnapped schoolgirls including Garba Ibrahim have confirmed that their children would regain freedom soon.

• February 28, 2021
Jangebe
Jangebe on map used to illustrate the story

Hopes are now high following reports that the abducted schoolgirls of Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe in Talata Mafara Local Government Area in Zamfara State may regain freedom Sunday.

Sources have told Sunday Punch that negotiations with the bandits and state government have begun, and almost concluded.

The girls have been in captivity for three days now.

The kidnapped schoolgirls were said to have been kept in a forest between Dangulbi and Sabon Birnin Banaga in the Maru Local Government Area of Zamfara State.

“As I am speaking to you now (Saturday), vehicles have been arranged for their evacuation to Gusau town, the state capital,” Punch quoted a source to have said.

The newspaper source debunked media reports that the kidnapped schoolgirls are 317, establishing that they are 279.

Parents of the kidnapped schoolgirls including Garba Ibrahim have confirmed that their children would regain freedom soon. They said that the government has hinted to them of the plans to release their children soon, urging them to relax, the outlet said.

Though the state government is yet to confirm or deny the state of negotiations, Information commissioner Suleman Anka insisted that the state is hoping to welcome the schoolgirls soon.

The  police have said it will continue to collaborate with the military and State Security Services to rescue the girls from abductors.

Bandits have now taken to abduction of school children as means to extort money from the government.

The criminals in the week past kidnapped dozens of students and workers of Government Science College in Kagara, Niger State. The Gazette exclusively reported that N800 million  was paid for their freedom.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Governor Nasir Idris

States

Gov Idris drops Abubakar-Tafida, picks ex-finance commissioner as running mate

Governor Nasir Idris has replaced his deputy, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, with ex-finance commissioner Ibrahim Muhammad-Augie as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

Governor Ademola Adeleke and President Bola Tinubu

Opinion

Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics

The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.

Troops with rescued victims

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army

The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby

States

19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby

According to the police, the suspect was under pressure to have a child, as some of her peers had already given birth.

Makinde congratulates Adeleke

Politics

Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections

The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.

Lagos restates ban on use of vehicle dealer number plates

Lagos

Lagos restates ban on use of vehicle dealer number plates

The Lagos government has reiterated its ban on the permanent or everyday use of dealer number plates by motorists and vehicle dealers.