GenCos hail N501 billion bond, boost confidence in power reforms

Power Generation Companies say the N501 billion raised through a bond issuance in January underscores growing investor confidence in the federal government’s Presidential Power Sector Financial Reforms Programme.
The GenCos noted that the reform programme was designed to tackle the nation’s N3.3 trillion electricity sector debt.
Seyi Sobogun, managing director of First Independent Power Ltd., disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday in on behalf of the GenCos.
The government introduced the programme to address long-standing structural challenges in the power sector, including mounting unpaid debts, ageing infrastructure, under-investment, and poor service delivery.
According to the government, the accumulation of liabilities over the years weakened GenCos and gas suppliers, reduced available generation capacity, and slowed progress toward delivering reliable electricity to homes and businesses.
“In response, the Federal Government under the leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has launched the Power Sector Bond Programme aimed at clearing verified legacy debts and strengthening the entire sector,” the statement said.
As part of the initiative, the government confirmed it had reached settlement agreements covering 15 power plants, including Egbin Power Plc, Geregu Power Plc, Niger Delta Power Holding Company, Ibom Power Company, and First Independent Power Ltd..
Reacting on behalf of the GenCos, Mr Sobogun described the development as a critical step toward restoring stability in the sector.
“We welcome the update on the implementation of the Presidential Power Sector Financial Reforms Programme as an important step toward restoring stability and sustainability in Nigeria’s power sector,” he said.
Mr Sobogun noted that for several years, the industry had operated under severe financial strain due to accumulated unpaid obligations across the electricity value chain.
“Addressing these legacy issues is critical to improving overall system performance,” he added.
Mr Sobogun confirmed the participation of GenCos in the programme and the execution of the necessary settlement agreements, expressing optimism over the progress made so far.
“The progress recorded to date is encouraging and reflects tangible momentum that is beginning to rebuild confidence across the industry,” Mr Sobogun said. “The January 2026 bond issuance, which was fully subscribed and raised N501 billion, is a particularly strong indicator of market confidence in the programme’s trajectory. We look forward to the outcome of subsequent planned issuances as the programme advances.”
Mr Sobogun reaffirmed the commitment of GenCos to collaborate with stakeholders to ensure the programme’s success and improve electricity supply nationwide.
“We remain committed to working with all stakeholders to support the successful implementation of the programme and contribute to a stronger, more reliable power sector for Nigeria,” Mr Sobogun said.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
ISIS would have taken over Nigeria if not for Tinubu, presidency spokesman says
“Were it not for the various interventions of Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Nigeria would have become a sorry state security-wise,” the presidential aide said.

Health
Yobe: Authorities issue alert as conjunctivitis reaches epidemic level in Potiskum
Conjunctivitis has reached epidemic proportions in Potiskum and surrounding communities, prompting health authorities to alert residents.

Politics
Delta: INEC fixes September 19 for Udu constituency by-election
The Independent National Electoral Commission has fixed September 19 for the by-election into the Udu Constituency of the Delta House of Assembly.

Economy
Nigeria implementing policies to reduce methane emissions from waste: FG
The federal government is implementing policies to reduce methane emissions from dumpsites and promote sustainable waste management practices across the country.

Economy
Subsidy removal made life difficult for Nigerians, Tinubu used money to fund governors’ opulent lifestyle: Atiku
“That is not reform. It is economic arson followed by propaganda about the ashes,” Phrank Shaibu said of President Bola Tinubu’s policies.

Politics
I won’t focus on religion, ethnicity in my 2027 presidential election campaign: Obi
“Daddy, I need you to speak to your people in the South-West and Kwara, the Christians in the South-West and Kwara,” Mr Obi said in 2023. “This is a religious war.”






