Thursday, August 20, 2026

Gov. Abiodun fraudulently parading my rice farm as World Bank-assisted project belonging to Ogun: Farmer

Mr Zabarmawa said, “When I started, the Ogun State Government promised and paid 50 per cent of the clearing cost why I paid the balance.”

• September 12, 2024
created by photogrid

A young farmer named Bello Zabarmawa has refuted the claims of Governor Dapo Abiodun and asserted that he is the owner of the 200-hectare rice plantation contrary to claims that the project was funded by Mr Abiodun’s administration with support from World Bank. 


Last month, Mr Abiodun and his entourage including a crew of photographers and videographers, visited the rice plantation in Magboro in the Obafemi-Owode Local Government Area of the state. 

The governor posed for pictures holding the harvested rice grains while his media team parroted claims that Ogun has joined states such as Lagos and Bayelsa to grow local rice, raising expectations among residents for rice to be available at affordable prices..


But Mr Zabarmawa, a special adviser to Kebbi State Governor, debunked the claim saying the rice farm was his project, according to PM News. 

Mr Zabarmawa was notified of the rice plantation-friendly soil in Magboro after one of his associates, Haruna, visited the village in 2019.

Mr Zabarmawa arranged to disburse an interest-free loan to about 200 farmers to plant rice on one hectare.

Given it was an untilled ground, he hired bulldozers and other farming equipment to clear the land and prepare it for planting season.

But given it was an enormous expanse of the land and project that community members including the village monarch welcomed with joy, Mr Zabarmawa was encouraged to seek the government’s assistance.

He paid N6 million to secure 220 hectares on lease and registered it with the “Young Service Grow” using “Alubarika Farms,” PM News quoted Mr Zabarmawa as saying.

He admitted that the Ogun State government supported the project by paying 50 per cent of the cost of clearing the ground and supplying fertilisers.

“When I started, the Ogun State Government promised and paid 50 per cent of the clearing cost why I paid the balance,” Mr Zabarmawa told PM News. “That time I was buying a bag of fertiliser for N45,000, I paid N23,000, and the government paid the remaining N22,000.”

According to Mr Zabarmawa, when the rice was ready for harvest, Ogun State governor visited the farm to inaugurate it, noting that his promises since then have gone unfulfilled

“There was a time I wanted to harvest, the governor himself came here. The commissioner has been here twice. It was the governor who flagged off the harvest. I was very happy that day,” Mr Zabarmawa disclosed. “But, I still need government support.”

The farmer lamented the high cost of running the rice plantation where he spends a minimum of N400,000 daily on labourers’ wages.

“I spend money to clear the land. I have a plan to clear 1,000 hectares. I’m calling for government support. I’ve brought in three bulldozers now. I’m the only one paying for now. I paid N600,000 to bring the bulldozers to the farm and I pay N400,000 labour on each of them every day.” Mr Zabarmawa bewailed.

The farmer said he gave out loans between N4 million and N6 million to about 60 farmers and solicited support from the government “so that we can meaningfully engage our youths who don’t have work to do.”

The farmer asserted that those he empowered “have become millionaires.”

Another farmer who was present at the store where Mr Zabarmawa purchased solar panels for the farm, informed the newspaper that the government only paid 35 per cent of the energy bill leaving Mr Zabarmawa to bear the larger financial burden.

Similarly, Yusuf Sulaiman, Secretary of the Albarika rice farmers, affirmed that Mr Zabarmawa was the one bankrolling the farmers and footing the bills. 

A bureau de change operator turned farmer, Abu Garba, said he was a beneficiary of Mr Zabarmawa’s benevolence, stressing that he received a N5 million loan to start rice farming in Magboro and was able to harvest 500 bags of rice.

Mr Abiodun’s statement while inaugurating the harvest implied that the rice farm was solely the project of the Ogun State government with support from the World Bank.

“In this place, I have 12,500 hectares of land, and all we have farmed is 200 hectares that yielded N1 billion for 200 farmers. From here, I can feed the rest of the country. We will scale up this project immediately from 200 to 2,000 hectares and generate N30 billion in revenue,” Mr Abiodun said. 

“This brings us closer to making Ogun State the food basket of the nation,” the governor said without mentioning Mr Zabarmawa with whom the state shared the fertiliser and clearing cost.

The governor’s aide, Abiodun Talabi, was not available for comments to clarify or debunk Mr Zabarmawa’s ownership claim to the rice farm.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Police officers

Lagos

Lagos police nab six over viral video of miscreants harassing motorists

Ms Adebisi said the command was already aware of the activities of the miscreants. 

Corps members

Heading 3

NYSC DG urges corps members to remain politically neutral, obey scheme rules

According to him, adherence to the core values of the scheme remains non-negotiable.

African Democratic Party (ADC)

States

ADC cautions Jigawa government against unregulated mining

He warned that inadequate mining regulations could provide opportunities for bandits. 

Brandon Hudspeth, Ifeanyi Ossai and others signed a document of cooperation at the National Museum, Onikan.

States

Enugu receives $125,000 U.S. grant for preservation of Lejja Iron-Smelting site

Mr Hudspeth said the grant is aimed at transforming and providing digital documentation of the site. 

President Bola Tinubu and Governor Ademola Adeleke

States

Tinubu urges Adeleke to promote unity, reconciliation in Osun

The president urged Mr Adeleke to focus on governance and improving the welfare of Osun residents. 

The FCT Minister of State, Dr Mahmoud Mariya

Abuja

Mahmoud calls on churches, mosques to promote peace ahead of 2027 elections

Ms Mahmoud urged citizens to continue supporting and praying for Mr Tinubu.