Sunday, August 16, 2026

Gov Makinde to name preferred successor in May, awaits Supreme Court ruling on PDP

The governor said he has been consulting with elders, religious leaders and other key stakeholders.

• April 18, 2026
Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State
Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State [Photo Credit: Oyonews]

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has said he will unveil his preferred successor and candidate in the forthcoming 2027 governorship election by the end of the first week of May.

Mr Makinde, in a newsletter titled “The Decisions Ahead and What You Should Expect” on Saturday, stated that he had yet to disclose his position or choice to anyone.

He said, “I recognise the question on many minds as we begin the process of identifying candidates who will serve our State from 2027. I do not take lightly the trust reposed in me by those who say they are waiting for my direction.

“We are approaching that point of decision. I have been consulting widely with our elders, fathers of faith, and other critical stakeholders, and I remain fully aware of the responsibility that this decision carries.”

Acknowledging the emergence of several frontrunners in the state, the governor said he has been consulting with elders, religious leaders and other key stakeholders.

“At this time, while a number of individuals have emerged as frontrunners, I have not disclosed my position to anyone. Any information suggesting otherwise is false. 

“As earlier indicated, all consultations will be concluded by the end of the first week in May, and my position will be made public thereafter,” he said.

Mr Makinde disclosed that he would announce his next step after the Supreme Court delivers its judgment on the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

“There have also been questions about the platform on which we will proceed. For now, we await the Supreme Court’s decision regarding our party, the Peoples Democratic Party. Once that decision is delivered, we will communicate our next steps clearly,” he said.

Commenting on a recent policy introduced by his administration, the governor said the decision to approve an additional N10,000 monthly for the next three months was aimed at easing the impact of rising fuel prices on public workers. 

“They will start receiving this allowance from this month – April 2026. We will continue to identify practical ways to support small businesses, artisans, and others in the private sector, so that the burden does not become overwhelming,” he stated.

The governor’s statement, as contained in his April newsletter, comes amid growing political momentum, particularly from individuals who have declared their aspirations to succeed him as governors.

Some of these individuals include radio broadcaster Oriyomi Hamzat, who joined the Accord Party earlier in January; Oyo South Senator Sharafadeen Alli, who declared his bid in mid-April; Speaker of the State House of Assembly, Adebowale Ogundoyin, among others.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States

CP orders arrest, prosecution of FCT drivers violating traffic laws

Ms Adeh said the CP warned the officers against using the exercise as an avenue for extortion, harassment, intimidation or unlawful use of force.

Kano Fire Service truck

States

Five died, 10 rescued in Kano collapsed buildings collapse: Official

The service’s Director, Sani Anas, made the disclosure in a statement by its Public Relations Officer, Saminu Abdullahi, on Sunday in Kano.

FRSC nabs lorry driver

Abuja

FRSC nabs lorry driver for hiding 15 persons, eight bikes among goods

Mr Ohaeri said FRSC officials intercepted the vehicle, marked GDD 815 ZP, after professional suspicion prompted a closer inspection of its sealed trampoline.

Ademola Adeleke

States

Your re-election is renewed mandate for greater service, Tambuwal tells Adeleke

Mr Tambuwal described the governorship election that pave the way Mr Adeleke’s second term as a victory for democracy and the people of Osun State.