Monday, July 22, 2024

Guinea-Bissau’s President Umaro Embalo survives attempted coup

“When added to successful coups in Mali, Burkina Faso, Guinea, and Chad…there is no doubt that West African leaders are nervously looking over their shoulders.”

• February 2, 2022
President Sissoco Embalo
President Sissoco Embalo

Guinea-Bissau’s President Umaro Sissoco Embalo survived an attempted coup on Tuesday but said many members of the security forces had been killed repelling the attack.

He linked the attempted coup to drug trafficking.

Earlier, heavy gunfire rang out near a government compound where Embalo had been chairing a cabinet meeting.

The situation was unclear for several hours, during which the African Union (AU) and West African bloc ECOWAS condemned what they called “an attempted coup.”

The fast-moving events in the former Portuguese colony on the West African coast came just over a week after the military in Burkina Faso – another country in the region – deposed the president there.

Appearing in the evening in a video posted on the Guinea-Bissau presidency’s Facebook page, Embalo said attackers had tried to enter the compound just after the cabinet meeting but had been repelled.

“It wasn’t just a coup. It was an attempt to kill the president, the prime minister, and all the cabinet,” he said.

He added that the attack “was well prepared and organised and could also be related to people involved in drug trafficking,” giving no further details.

The United Nations views poverty-stricken Guinea-Bissau as a major waypoint for Latin American cocaine headed for Europe.

U.S. and European authorities have long suspected that some in the country’s military are involved in the drug trade.

Mr Embalo, who had enjoyed strong support from the military during a previous political crisis, suggested in his video that the army was not involved in Tuesday’s attack.

“I can assure you that no camp joined this attempted coup. It was isolated. It is linked to people we have fought against,” he said, without elaborating.

He added that arrests had begun of people involved, but he did not know how many.

On his official website, Portugal’s President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa said he had spoken to Mr Embalo by telephone and had “conveyed his vehement condemnation … of these attacks against the constitutional order of Guinea-Bissau.”

Before Mr Embalo’s video, the AU had said some government members were being detained and had called on the military to release them without giving details.

Political instability has blighted Guinea-Bissau for decades, with nine previous coups or attempted coups since independence in 1974.

During the hours of confusion on Tuesday, the Portuguese embassy had urged its citizens in Guinea-Bissau to stay at home while UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said he was “deeply concerned” by what was going on in the capital Bissau.

Mr Embalo had begun chairing an extraordinary cabinet meeting at around 10 a.m., entering the government palace with a heavy security detail, a diplomatic source said. While he was present in the building, gunfire began outside.

The cabinet meeting was being held to prepare for a forthcoming ECOWAS summit in response to last week’s military takeover in Burkina Faso, the latest in a rash of coups across the region in the last 18 months.

“It looks increasingly hard to argue against the idea of coup contagion,” said Eric Humphrey-Smith, an analyst at risk consultancy Verisk Maplecroft. “When added to successful coups in Mali, Burkina Faso, Guinea, and Chad in the past year, there is no doubt that West African leaders are nervously looking over their shoulders.” 

(Reuters/NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Nigerian Troops

States

Military hands over latest rescued Chibok girl to Borno government

He said the girl was rescued on June 23 with two children by troops during an operation within Sambisa forest.

Plateau State governor, Caleb Mutfwang

States

Gov. Mutfwang inaugurates committee to investigate Jos school collapse

The governor called on the public to provide useful information to prevent similar incidents in future.

Youths on drugs

Uncategorized

Nitric Oxide: Youth drug addiction in Nigeria

Nitric oxide has now become a popular recreational drug among Nigerian youth.

A composite of President Bola Tinubu and protesting Nigerian youths

NationWide

Tinubu, traditional, religious leaders caution Nigerians against planned protests

“Therefore, we can’t afford to have this kind of situation,’’ he said.

Donald Trump

World

U.S. Secret Service chief admits failure in protecting Trump; refuses to resign

Ms Cheatle revealed that she had contacted Mr Trump after the incident to apologise for the failure of her agency.

Benneth Igweh

Abuja

Police nab suspected organiser of retired brigadier general’s murder

He said 79 bottles of codeine were also recovered from the suspect’s residence.