Gunmen abduct cleric, wife, children in Ondo; demand N75 million ransom

Suspected gunmen have abducted a cleric, identified as Rev. Canon Olowolagba, along the Ise Akoko/Iboropa Road in Akoko North-East Local Government Area of Ondo State.
Mr Olowolagba, attached to the Akoko Anglican Diocese, was kidnapped alongside his wife and two children while travelling on the road last Sunday.
Bishop of Akoko Anglican Diocese, Babajide Bada, confirmed the incident to journalists on Saturday afternoon.
Mr Bada said the cleric and his family members were travelling from Ipesi through Isua Akoko when gunmen waylaid their vehicle and marched them into the bush.
“The unfortunate incident happened last week [Sunday] between 4 and 5:30 P.M.,” he said.
Mr Bada added, “He (Olowolagba) was travelling from Ipesi with his wife, Mrs. Olowolagba, their 16-year-old daughter, Goodness Olowolagba, a 100-level student of Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko (AAUA), who came for a holiday, and a nine-year-old girl staying with them, identified as Idowu.
“They drove from Ipesi through Isua Akoko, and when they got to between Isua and Ise-Akoko, they were kidnapped. And we did not know until the following morning, when their members discovered that they didn’t get to Ikaram, where they were going.
“Since then, those who kidnapped them have been calling. They called to ask for a ransom. The kidnappers insisted on N75 million before they could release the victims.”
The cleric stated that the matter had been reported to the state security outfit codenamed Amotekun.
“Amotekun is working because we have reported the matter at the Amotekun office in Akure, and they have started work to secure the release of the victims.
“We have also notified the hunters and reported the matter to the police, both in Ikare and Isua.
“Presently, Amotekun and the hunters are combing the bush to ensure the victims are rescued from their captors,” he said.
When Peoples Gazette contacted the spokesperson for the Ondo police command, Funmi Odunlami, she said the matter had not been reported to any police station.
However, the commander of the Amotekun Corps, Adetunji Adeleye, confirmed the abduction of the victims.
Mr Adeleye said, “Amotekun Corps is working with other security agencies to secure the release of the victims.”
Speaking on the incident, the chairman of the Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs in Akoko North-West Local Government, Sheikh Basiru Aminu, called on religious leaders and the people of the community to pray for the victims’ safe release.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries
Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

States
Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara
The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Heading 5
Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun
The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence.

Abuja
Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas
According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system.

Heading 4
NFF sacks Super Falcons coach, technical team After WAFCON, World Cup qualification failures
Mr Madugu led the team to their 10th WAFCON title in July 2025.

Sport
Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest
In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.






