Hong Kong newspaper fires cartoonist after government officials complain

A newspaper in Hong Kong has fired a political cartoonist, Wong Kei-Kwan, after four decades of publishing satire cartoons due to government officials’ disapproval of comic content.
The Ming Pao, a Chinese-language newspaper, said it would stop publishing Wong Kei-Kwan cartoons.
“Ming Pao thanks Zunzi for witnessing with us the changing times in the past 40 years,” it said in a statement.
Mr Kei-Kwan’s published cartoons have been pulled out of the public domain.
The 68-year-old, who goes by the pen name Zing, has been running satirical cartoons in newspapers since 1983. He was accused of smearing the government’s image and misleading the public.
Mr Kei-Kwan said he would continue to speak out despite the situation.
“The situation continues to develop in a bad direction,” he told Reuters.
“There are still many journalists who continue to speak out on different platforms, and comics are only one form. I will continue to speak out when I have the opportunity.”
The move is widely seen as another step to control the media and press freedom in Hong Kong under a controversial national security law.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army
The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

States
19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby
According to the police, the suspect was under pressure to have a child, as some of her peers had already given birth.

Politics
Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections
The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.

Lagos
Lagos restates ban on use of vehicle dealer number plates
The Lagos government has reiterated its ban on the permanent or everyday use of dealer number plates by motorists and vehicle dealers.

States
Wike-sanctioned Rainbow coalition pledges inclusive Rivers reconciliation
The reconciliation efforts aim to restore political harmony among stakeholders while fostering unity, progress and development across Rivers.

Anti-Corruption
Looted Wealth: Nigerians who forfeited assets to FG (1)
The asset forfeiture followed court rulings after the country’s anti-corruption agencies, especially the EFCC, pressed charges against them after investigations.






