Monday, February 6, 2023

How Trump nearly invaded Nigeria with U.S. special forces: Report

A book detailing former U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration has disclosed how the U.S. forces, including the American navy SEAL, almost invaded Nigeria.

• July 22, 2021
U.S. Special Forces, President Muhammadu Buhari, and former U.S. President Donald Trump
U.S. Special Forces, President Muhammadu Buhari, and former U.S. President Donald Trump

A book detailing former U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration has disclosed how the U.S. forces, including the American navy SEAL, almost invaded Nigeria.  

The book titled, ‘I Alone Can Fix It: Donald J. Trump’s Catastrophic Final Year,’ written by Carol Leonnig and Philip Rucker, described the U.S. special forces entering the country to rescue Philip Walton, the son of an American missionary, kidnapped at his home by gunmen in the neighbouring Niger Republic.

“The mission had to be paused until the Nigerian government signed off. American forces had come very close to a technical invasion of a foreign country,” the book said. 

At the time of the mission, it was unclear if the military action by the U.S. on Nigerian soil was in line with Article 2(4) of the UN Charter on Territorial Integrity. 

However, Nigeria reacted to the concerns of an unauthorised invasion with the defence minister Bashir Salihi Magashi stating that President Muhammadu Buhari’s regime granted the U.S. special forces permission to rescue Mr Walton.

The authors noted that the U.S. paused their mission after being informed that a White House aide, Kash Patel, had told officials that the Nigerian government was aware of the mission, though unclear. 

The authors included that Mr Patel declined to comment on this. 

The book explained that Mr Trump approved the mission himself while then-secretary of state Mike Pompeo and national security adviser Robert O’Brien were unavailable. 

It also noted that the defence secretary Mark Esper had not discussed the matter with Mr Trump before it was approved.

The mission, carried out in October last year, was successful, leading to the deaths of six captors. 

The spokesperson for the Pentagon, Jonathan Hoffman, had released a statement noting the release of Mr Walton.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

President Muhammadu Buhari and Bola Tinubu

Politics

Group says northerners want Tinubu to succeed Buhari but Presidency cabal resisting

“This individuals with their clandestine motives have continued to play with our unity as a country.”

World

Over 200 killed as earthquake hits Turkey, Syria

At least 200 persons have died and millions have been displaced from their homes after a deadly earthquake.

Showbiz

Tems wins Grammy, Burna Boy leaves empty-handed

Tems has won her first Grammy at the 65th Grammy awards on Sunday.

Beyonce

Showbiz

Beyoncé wins record-breaking 32nd Grammy

It took the songwriter 88 career nominations to break the previous 31 Grammy Awards record.

Pervez Musharraf

World

UN chief mourns ex-Pakistani President Musharraf

In 2019, he was sentenced to death in absentia for high treason. The ruling was later overturned.

UN PEACEKEEPERS

Africa

Guterres condemns attack on UN’s helicopter in DR Congo

M23 has seized many areas of North Kivu province in eastern DRC since last October.