Human Trafficking: Ike Ekweremadu to remain in prison till October 31

Further hearing on the case of former Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, has been adjourned till October 31st, meaning he will remain in prison.
Mr Ekweremadu appeared in court on Thursday, where the judge announced that he will remain in Custody till the end of October for the next hearing.
Mr Ekweremadu was arrested alongside his wife Beatrice on June 23 by the Met police, claiming they tried to traffic a minor, David Ukpo, into the UK to illegally harvest his organ.
In early July, the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court ordered the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) and others to release the certified true copy (CTC) of David Ukpo’s biodata. This subsequently debunked the claims that Mr Ukpo was a minor after passports, national ID and other documents showed he was 21.
Still, the Ekweremadus remained behind bars since then and were not granted bail after appearing in court on July 7. However, Mrs Ekweremadu was granted bail by a London court in late July.
Mr Ekweremadu and his wife Beatrice had denied all charges of human trafficking and organ harvesting filed against them before the court, saying they did not procure a minor in order to abduct and harvest his organ, contradicting the charges filed by the Metropolitan Police at Uxbridge Magistrate’s Court, London.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Showbiz
Wande Coal, Davido clash over unreleased collaboration ‘Come My Way’
Wande Coal and Davido have clashed on social media over an unreleased collaboration, ‘Come My Way’.

Africa
Xenophobic Attacks: 83 Nigerians evacuated from South Africa arrive in Lagos on Wednesday
The foreign affairs ministry says a new batch of 83 Nigerian returnees from South Africa will arrive in the country on Wednesday.

States
Police nab suspected hoodlum, recover firearm in Akwa Ibom
The police command in Akwa Ibom says it has apprehended a suspected hoodlum and recovered a locally made single-barrel gun in the process.

Rights
Meta goes on trial accused of making Facebook, Instagram addictive for youths
A coalition of U.S. states has accused Meta Platforms Incorporated of designing its social media and communication platform interface in an addictive and harmful way.

World
Tinubu to address world leaders at UNGA September 23
President Bola Tinubu will join world leaders to address the 81st Session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA 81) General Debate on September 23, in New York.

Politics
Buni lauds Tinubu’s commitment to peace, security in Lake Chad region
Governor Mai Mala Buni has commended President Bola Tinubu for his commitment to sustainable peace, security and economic growth of the Lake Chad region.






