Ikoyi Building Collapse: Two more bodies pulled out as death toll reaches 38

The death toll from the collapsed building in Ikoyi increased to 38, as two more bodies was pulled out by the rescue team Thursday afternoon, according to the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency.
The agency said that two males bodies were recovered from the rubbles, making the number of bodies so far recovered 38 while 9 persons were taken out alive.
“35 males and 3 females, 1 female survivor and 8 male survivor,” LASEMA stated in its update.
Earlier, the National Emergency Management Agency said that 36 bodies has been recovered under the rubble as at Thursday morning.
“So far, 36 people — 33 males and three female — have been confirmed dead, while there were nine survivors ,” said the southwest coordinator of National Emergency Agency, Ibrahim Farinloye.
During his visit to the scene on Wednesday, the state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, said that the survivors are still in the hospital receiving medical treatment.
He said that a six-member panel of enquiry will be set up to investigate the cause of the building collapse.
The building located at 20 Gerrard Road collapsed around 2:00 p.m. on Monday while workers were working at the site.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Katsina
Troops rescued six males and eight females abducted in Katsina State.

States
Police arrest suspected transformer vandal in Enugu
Police said the suspect was found unconscious with various degrees of injuries.

World
U.S. govt indicts 17 Iranians over cyber theft
Prosecutors said the suspects allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of data from institutions across the U.S.

States
Gov Alia nominates six new commissioners, seeks Benue assembly’s approval
The governor said the nominations were intended to strengthen the state executive council by filling existing vacancies and replacing outgoing members.

Heading 1
Nigeria should remain designated ‘country of particular concern’, Tinubu allowing slaughtering of Christians: U.S. Lawmaker
“Do not remove the CPC designation for Nigeria. They have not done near enough to protect Christians! They continue to get slaughtered,” Mr Moore said.

NationWide
Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections
“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.






