Saturday, August 22, 2026

Insecurity: Kaduna govt graduates 1,101 forest guards 

Mr Sani said the armed forest guards would complement the armed forces and other security agencies in tackling evolving security threats.

• August 1, 2026
Uba Sani of Kaduna State (Credit: Twitter)
Uba Sani of Kaduna State (Credit: Twitter)

The Kaduna State government on Saturday graduated 1,101 armed forest guards to strengthen security and reclaim forests from bandits and other criminals.

Governor Uba Sani, who reviewed the parade, described the graduation as a defining moment in Kaduna’s quest for lasting peace, safety and sustainable development.

He said the ceremony marked the beginning of a new chapter in protecting lives, reclaiming forests and securing communities across the state.

Mr Sani said the armed forest guards would complement the armed forces and other security agencies in tackling evolving security threats.

He said the guards have been trained to deploy advanced capabilities against criminals hiding in forest corridors across Kaduna.

He said the initiative would enhance efforts to degrade, disarm and dismantle criminal networks using forests as operational bases.

The governor regretted that forests had long served as safe havens for bandits, kidnappers and cattle rustlers, causing deaths, displacement and agricultural losses.

He said no responsible government would tolerate such a situation, adding that Kaduna had chosen decisive action to restore peace.

He said the guards would strengthen surveillance, intelligence gathering and collaboration with the military, police and other security agencies.

Mr Sani said the outfit would complement existing security agencies through a unified and coordinated security architecture.

He said that the guards’ knowledge of local terrain would improve intelligence gathering and rapid response to security threats.

He said that over 125 previously closed schools had reopened, while farming and healthcare services had resumed in many affected communities.

The governor added that Birnin Gwari, Zangon Kataf, Giwa, Kauru, Kachia and Kajuru have recorded improved security and economic activities.

He appealed to the federal government to approve an additional 1,000 forest guards for Kaduna to consolidate security gains.

He reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to investing in technology, education, agriculture and job creation to address the root causes of insecurity.

Mr Sani said lasting security remains the foundation for sustainable development and inclusive prosperity in Kaduna State.

He thanked President Bola Tinubu and the National Security Adviser (NSA) Nuhu Ribadu for supporting the initiative.

Mr Nuhu, who was represented by Mallam Sani Sani, the director of internal security, NSA office, said the forest guard programme was a presidential initiative launched in May 2025.

He said the initiative aimed to secure forests, ungoverned spaces, biodiversity, watersheds and wildlife across the country.

He said that the Kaduna training commenced on June 15, producing 1,101 graduates after two months of intensive exercise.

Mr Nuhu said that the trainees received instruction in weapons handling, combat readiness, physical fitness, civil-military relations and international humanitarian law.

According to him, the guards will serve as first responders before conventional security agencies arrive during emergencies.

He assured the graduates that salary payment and deployment would commence immediately without unnecessary delays.

The National Security Adviser commended the Kaduna State government and instructors from the Nigerian Navy, State Security Service (SSS) and National Park Service for conducting quality training.

The training officer, Lt.-Cmdr. Sani Abdullahi, said participants acquired skills in patrols, marksmanship, tracking, raids, combat first aid and communication.

He said the programme produced disciplined and professional personnel prepared to support security operations and protect lives, property and critical national assets.

Mr Abdullahi urged the graduates to uphold integrity, courage, discipline and respect for human rights while discharging their responsibilities.

He also appealed to residents to support security agencies with credible information to sustain peace across the state.

 (NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States

Police dislodge bandits’ hideout, rescue three kidnap victims in Kaduna

Mr Hassan said the rescued victims have been reunited with their families, while efforts are ongoing to apprehend the fleeing suspects.

World

Chinese humanoid robot ‘Lightning’ beats Usain Bolt’s 100m world record

The robot’s time also edged Bolt’s world record of 9.58 seconds in the men’s 100m, which the Jamaican set at the 2009 World Athletics Championships in Berlin.

Nyesom Wike

Politics

My goal is to deliver Rivers, FCT for Tinubu in 2027; not interested in APC campaign DG position: Wike 

Mr Wike said that he has no interest in being a member of Mr Tinubu’s presidential campaign council.

Africa

Former world boxing champion Zolani Tete shot dead outside his home in South Africa

The motive behind the killing of the boxer is yet to be ascertained, according to the police.

Sport

List of Premier League stars expected to shine in 2026/2027 season

Last season, Gonzalo García scored 12 goals and provided four assists in all competitions.

American Airlines

World

Passenger’s laptop catches fire on American Airlines flight

The plane, which took off from Atlanta, had 133 individuals on board.