Iran government to prosecute 2 actresses for not wearing hijab

The Iranian government has said two actresses appearing unveiled in a picture will be charged to court. The government said the ladies flouted Iran’s mandatory hijab law.
Katayoun Riahi, 61, posted her picture online without a veil while Pantea Bahram, 53, posed for a picture during film screening without a head covering. These pictures went viral causing police to accuse them of “the crime of removing hijab in public and posting photos on the internet,” local media in Iran said.
The prosecution team said the actresses will likely pay fines or face jail term.
Recently, the government warned that new technology will be adopted and surveillance cameras will be used to track down women not wearing hijabs in public places.
According to Iran’s Islamic Penal Code; any act deemed “offensive” to public decency is punishable by 10 days to two months in prison or 74 lashes. The law applies to girls and women from age nine who appear unveiled in public places.
Last year, a 22-year-old woman, Mahsa Amini died in morality police custody after she was arrested for not wearing a hijab.
This caused public outrage which led to many weeks of nationwide protests. Women and girls who joined the protest were brutally attacked causing the death of Sarina Esmailzadeh, Nika Shakarami, Hadis Najafi, among others.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Gov Idris drops Abubakar-Tafida, picks ex-finance commissioner as running mate
Governor Nasir Idris has replaced his deputy, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, with ex-finance commissioner Ibrahim Muhammad-Augie as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

Opinion
Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics
The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army
The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

States
19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby
According to the police, the suspect was under pressure to have a child, as some of her peers had already given birth.

Politics
Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections
The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.

Lagos
Lagos restates ban on use of vehicle dealer number plates
The Lagos government has reiterated its ban on the permanent or everyday use of dealer number plates by motorists and vehicle dealers.






