Israel-based Nigerian footballer survives Hamas rocket

Israel based Nigeria footballer Ibezito Ogbonna survived a rocket strike fired from Gaza during the 11 days clash between Israel and Gaza last week.
BBC Sport reports that the former under 23 striker was home with his family in the city of Ashdod on May 17 when his apartment was directly hit by one of the rockets fired by Hamas militants in the heat of the Israel-Gaza face-off.
Ibezito who sustained injuries from the explosion, expressed delight that his wife and kids were unhurt after the Hamas strike.
“I am extremely lucky to be alive after this rocket was fired and it’s third time lucky for me after being involved in a car crash and a horrible robbery incident in Nigeria,” he told BBC’s Oluwashina Okeleji.
“It is difficult to explain the impact of what I saw. Coming out of this was a miracle. We are talking about the same attack that has left several people badly wounded,” he added.
Narrating his ordeal with the explosion, the former Hapoel Tel Aviv forward said:
“On this day I was having breakfast and I heard the wailing siren. Normally, we’d run to the shelter because every house has its own shelter. I felt it’s the normal warning, but within seconds it turned out to be an unlucky day for me.”
“I heard the loud bang of the rocket and felt the immediate impact, I was thrown into the air and it took me from my dining room to my living room.”
“I was in the hospital for a few hours. I was treated and had different tests just to check that everything was okay with me. They weren’t sure I was fine considering what had happened.”
Peoples Gazette had earlier reported that Hamas’s militants fired some 3,150 rockets from the Gaza Strip toward Israel.
The Israeli army said about 460 of the rockets never made it across the border and went down in the Gaza territory. A large contingent of the other missiles were nullified mid air by Israeli Iron Dome technology.
However, the Israelis responded with a massive assault on Hamas prime facilities in the coastal area.
Ibezito, who was part of Nigeria’s 2006 Olympic qualifiers squad, failed to make the country’s dream team that featured at the 2008 Olympics.
He moved to Israel in 2003 after an impressive form at Enugu Rangers, Nigerdock, and Sharks.
The former under 23 forward has since played in Romania, South Africa, Albania, Kazakhstan, and North Macedonia.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Africa
WHO hopeful on Congo Ebola outbreak containment
The WHO has raised about 60 per cent of the $115 million needed to fund the Ebola response.

Africa
Re-elected Zambia’s President Hichilema promises development, peace
The Zambian president said he would work harder than ever before to deliver meaningful development to the citizens.

Heading 3
Osun Poll: Gov. Adeleke discredits ADC’s collaboration claim with Accord to defeat APC
Mr Abdullahi said anyone familiar with what happened in Osun State knew the role his party played to secure the victory for the Accord.

NationWide
Digital payments vital to financial inclusion, economic growth: CBN
Ms Nwabukwu urged entrepreneurs and traders to embrace digital payment solutions.

Africa
Webometrics ranking places UNILAG second in Nigeria, 23rd in Africa
The institution congratulated itself as the university of first choice and the nation’s pride for the outstanding achievement.

NationWide
Let your conduct reflect office you’re seeking, Obi urges fellow presidential candidates
Mr Obi expressed regret over past electoral violence and casualties recorded in previous elections






