Israel deploys attack drones amid rising tension over Gaza Strip
Israel on Thursday deployed attack drones over the Gaza Strip and continued to close major roads in the south amid rising tensions with the Palestinians.
The Israeli Air Force deployed “dozens” of attack drones over Gaza as part of its preparations for locating and intercepting possible rockets or anti-tank fire launched by Palestinian militants in Gaza, local media reported.
The report said Chief-of-Staff of the Israeli army Aviv Kochavi toured the area near Gaza in the morning and approved “offensive plans” that might be used in case of an escalation of violence with Gaza militants.
Meanwhile, the closure of major roads in southern Israel continued for the third day for fear of escalation with Gaza.
An Israeli military spokesperson said in a statement that the military has been denying civilians’ access to the areas near the Palestinian enclave due to “a concrete warning of an attack by the Islamic Jihad in the Gaza border.”
The Ashkelon Regional Council in southern Israel said the train service has been suspended and farmers were required not to work on the fields near the Gaza fence.
Israeli Prime Minister, Yair Lapid and Defense Minister, Benny Gantz held a security consultation to discuss “the security situation in the south and the steps necessary for continued security in the area.”
The tensions were sparked by an Israeli raid in the flashpoint Palestinian city of Jenin in the northern West Bank overnight between Monday and Tuesday.
A 17-year-old boy Palestinian boy was killed, and members of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad including the group’s political leader Bassem al-Saadi were arrested.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
Before his appointment, Mr Musa had been the Director of the Counter Terrorism Directorate in the ONSA since 2017.
A top ASUU operative said the three-hour meeting ended without any commitment to resolving the issue by either parties.
Mr Mohammed added that efforts being made by the FCTA to curb insecurity in Abuja were numerous.
“It is consistent with President Buhari’s deliberate National agenda of lifting 100 million Nigerians out of poverty in 10 years.”
The figure represented a decrease of 0.16 per cent compared with the N430 it exchanged for the dollar on Monday.