Saturday, February 17, 2024

Japa Movement: Canada suspends express entry visa programme

There are an estimated 76,000 applicants, more than the government’s target all the way out to 2023.

• January 22, 2022
Nigerians boarding at airport

Canada has moved to suspend its express entry visa programme for the first half of 2022, halting the exodus of Nigerians seeking better living conditions.

This is contained in an internal memo from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

“An estimated 76,000 applicants are in the inventory for federal high-skilled worker applications, which is more than what the government needs to meet targets all the way out to 2023,” the document said. 

As such, new Express Entry draws for Federal Skilled Worker (FSW), Canadian Experience Class (CEC), and Federal Skilled Trades (FST) will be suspended in the first half of 2022.

The document added that FSW processing times may increase to 36 months and that all through 2022, overall immigration targets for Express Entry candidates may decrease by about 50 per cent.

The document also notes the possible increase in Canada’s Comprehensive Ranking System cut off mark when the regular draws begin, spanning at least six months. 

“Given the current composition of the pool, the minimum Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score necessary to receive an invitation to apply would likely rise above 500 and remain high, regardless of whether invitations are further paused, or resume at a modest pace in the very near term. In both scenarios, the CRS score would likely remain high for approximately six months,” the document said. 

Termed “Japa Movement” in local parlance, the mass migration of young Nigerians to greener pastures has become popular amid harsh socioeconomic challenges besetting the nation.

Canada’s actions follow a policy made in 2021 to initially relocate 20,000 Afghans to the country. The pledge had been doubled to 40,000 Afghans.

The National Post reports that 7,000 Afghans have arrived in Canada.

“These reductions are due to admissions space required to accommodate the TR2PR stream and the resettlement of Afghan nationals to Canada,” the document said.

Data collated by Nairametrics show that over 18,000 Nigerians have received permanent residency between 2018 and 2020. The report noted a record high of 401,396 immigrants in 2021.

As a result of its large land mass and small population, Canada has had open and flexible migration plans to help spur its economic growth. The country seeks to welcome over 1.2 million new immigrants in 3 years, cutting across various immigration classes. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Mahmood Yakubu

NationWide

Abuja school of political thought tasks INEC to monitor political parties’ finances

Mr Amadi said that proper documentation of parties’ finances by INEC was critical to election credibility.

Bello Matawalle

Economy

Criticising Tinubu for economic collapse, insecurity will have consequences, Matawalle threatens Nigerians

Mr Matawalle said that the President and his team were working to alleviate the burdens on the citizens.

United Kingdom flag

NationWide

UK spent £300 million on security, stability in Africa in 2023: Minister

“The UK is also supporting capacity building for Nigerian judges and prosecutors across.’’

Governor Hyacinth Alia

States

Unemployment fuelling insecurity in Benue: BIPC MD

Mr Asemakaha said he inherited unremitted taxes of N2.1 billion and gratuity of N49 million.

Sen. Sa’idu Alkali

NationWide

Nigeria targets environmentally friendly transport system: Minister

The minister said an efficient transportation system was a win to every endeavour of human life.

EX U.S. President Donald Trump

World

Trump to appeal $355 million civil fraud trial ruling

Mr Trump’s lawyers described the ruling as tyrannical abuse of power.