Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Governor Umahi meets Buhari, declares intention to run for president

Mr Umahi’s declaration comes barely 24 hours after the APC national leader, Bola Tinubu, met with Mr Buhari for the same purpose.

• January 11, 2022
President Buhari and Dave Umahi
President Muhammadu Buhari and Governor Dave Umahi (Credit: ShaunTV)

The governor of Ebonyi state, Dave Umahi, has revealed his intention to run for the presidency.

Mr Umahi disclosed this to State House correspondents after meeting behind closed doors with President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday. 

Mr Umahi’s visit to the Villa comes barely 24 hours after the national leader of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Tinubu, met with Mr Buhari to notify him of his presidential ambition.

Mr Umahi defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the APC in November 2020. This decision was criticised by Egwu Chima, a party chieftain and former information commissioner in Ebonyi who said Mr Umahi’s defection to the APC was of no value to his new party.

At the time, Mr Buhari commended Mr Umahi’s  defection, urging him to ignore criticisms that might come his way as a result of the move. The APC in Ebonyi had also said Mr Umahi had no plans to return to the PDP.

Simbard Ogbuatu, the state party spokesperson, had said in a statement that “Umahi has not, either in person, a representative or through a surrogate made and will never make any move to return to the ‘Social Club’ known as PDP.”

In January 2021, Peoples Gazette reported how Mr Umahi channeled state funds between 2011 and 2019 to Brass Engineering, which he owns and has chaired since 1993.

Based on bank records of the state, the report notes that Mr Umahi received more than N3.6 billion, when he began transferring state funds into Brass Engineering shortly after becoming deputy governor to Martin Elechi in 2011. 

After the report was published, an aide to Mr Umahi called The Gazette office in Abuja, threatening to kill the online newspaper’s reporters. The audio recording of the phone call was uploaded to YouTube

This action caught the attention of democracy and good governance advocacy group, Concerned Nigerians, which then wrote to the United States’ embassy in Nigeria asking for a visa ban on Mr Umahi and his family. 

Mr Umahi is not a stranger to attacks on journalists. Reporters from the Vanguard and Sun had been brutalised over critical reports of his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic in his state. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2

FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries 

Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

terrorists in Unguwar Rogo Village

States

Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara 

The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Peter Obi

Heading 5

Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun

The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence. 

flooding in Abuja.

Abuja

Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas

According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system. 

Awoniyi in Conventy City shirt 

Sport

Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi  from Nottingham Forest 

In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.