Monday, August 17, 2026

I told Buhari I am taking over from him: Tinubu

In his ambition to be president, Mr Tinubu is banking on his achievements while he was governor of Lagos state.

• January 10, 2022
Buhari and Tinubu
President Bola Tinubu and Buhari

Bola Tinubu, former Lagos governor and national leader of the All Progressives Congress, says he’s informed President Muhammadu Buhari of his plan to go for the APC’s presidential ticket.

Mr Tinubu made these comments Monday after meeting with Mr Buhari at the Presidential Villa. 

He told journalists of his ambition to be president of Nigeria, chalking his ability to rule the country of over 200 million people to the achievements made while he was governor of Lagos state. 

“I answer that with categorical yes. I’ve informed the President of my intention but I have not informed Nigerians yet. I’m still consulting. And I have no problem consulting. And I’ve noticed that a parameter of limitation to the extent of how many people will I consult,” Mr Tinubu said. 

Bola Tinubu and Muhammadu Buhari
Bola Tinubu and Muhammadu Buhari

“You will soon hear, all you want to hear is the categorical declaration. You’ve gotten that truth from me that I have informed Mr. President of my ambition, I did not expect more answers than that,” the former governor added.

These comments come after Mr Tinubu had earlier disclosed in December that he was keeping his decision to run for president in 2023 close to his chest to avoid distracting Mr Buhari.

Last year, Mr Tinubu had publicly denied setting up ahead of his 2023 run, but the intentions had been confirmed on multiple occasions. 

Peoples Gazette had reported how former Lagos governor Babatunde Fashola confirmed that Mr Tinubu would make his position on contesting for presidency in 2023 known by January.

Sanwo-Olu and Tinubu
Lagos State governor, Babajide-Sanwo-Olu and Bola Ahmed Tinubu

The Gazette also reported the secret opening of Mr Tinubu’s campaign office in Abuja and how Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, had publicly canvassed for Mr Tinubu by launching a political group ahead of his presidential campaign. 

Speculations continue to trail Mr Tinubu’s political ambitions in light of his medical battles as well as allegations of corruption.

The Gazette had published a series of damning reports on Mr Tinubu’s corrupt enrichment through the questionable Lagos tax infrastructure and Alpha Beta, siphoning billions of naira to shell companies.

In January 2021, Mr Tinubu was reported sick and hospitalised in Paris, France. Over the course of the year, he had been absent from official and party functions in the country for a while before leaving the country for the United Kingdom for a knee surgery. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2

FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries 

Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

terrorists in Unguwar Rogo Village

States

Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara 

The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Peter Obi

Heading 5

Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun

The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence. 

flooding in Abuja.

Abuja

Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas

According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system. 

Awoniyi in Conventy City shirt 

Sport

Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi  from Nottingham Forest 

In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.Â