Manchester City withdraws from breakaway Super League

Manchester City has officially announced its withdrawal from the breakaway European Super League.
This comes as the newly introduced league continues to receive sweeping of criticism from football governing bodies, politicians, coaches and players across Europe.
Confirming the development in a statement made available on its website Tuesday evening, Manchester City disclosed that it had formally enacted the procedure to withdraw from the league’s developing plans.
“Manchester City Football Club can confirm that it has formally enacted the procedures to withdraw from the group developing plans for a European Super League,” Manchester City in the statement said.
The announcement comes shortly after Manchester United executive-vice chairman Ed Woodward resigned his position following the backlash over the European Super League.
Reports suggest that Chelsea is also organising the paperwork to withdraw from the super league after fans protested outside the Stamford Bridge before the commencement of the club’s EPL fixture against Brighton.
Already, Liverpool’s skipper Jordan Henderson after a meeting with other EPL captains on Tuesday took to his Twitter page to reject the breakaway league.
“We don’t like it and we don’t want it to happen, this is our collective position,” Henderson tweeted.
“Our commitment to this football club and its supporters is absolute and unconditional,” he added.
Peoples Gazette had earlier reported that UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin has registered his opposition to the Super League. FIFA President Gianni Infantino on Monday also said the breakaway clubs would have to face consequences of their action as they would not be allowed to operate their league within the established football ecosystem.
FIFA had in January said that a breakaway league would not be recognised and that “any club or player involved in such a competition would as a consequence not be allowed to participate in any competition organised by FIFA or their respective confederation.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

NationWide
Tinubu pledges peaceful campaign ahead of 2027 elections
“Let us remember that elections are not a do-or-die affair. We are partners in the project of nation-building,” he said.

Lagos
Lagos warns car-spotters against obstructing roads, constituting nuisance
The Commissioner for Environment, Tokunbo Wahab, said car-spotting breaches motorists’ privacy and urged them to carry out their activity in car lots.

States
Police arrest five suspects in Benue, recover two motorcycles
The Benue State police command arrested five suspects who specialised in stealing motorcycles and motor vehicles.

World
One dead, others injured in livestreamed Philippines school shooting
The student killed a male tenth-grader before taking his own life while livestreaming the attack with a body camera.

World
Over 5,000 Ethiopians face deportation after U.S. court ruling
A federal judge ruled to end Temporary Protected Status (TPS), which allows Ethiopians to live and work in the U.S.

Education
UNILAG extends deadline for UTME candidates to upload results after portal glitch
The deadline, initially set for Wednesday, has been moved to August 24, 2026.






