Nigerian government cancels N20 NIN retrieval charges

Communications minister Isa Pantami has asked telecom providers to rescind N20 charges imposed on Nigerians to check national identification number (NIN).
The minister in a Friday morning statement hoped the telecom providers would comply with the directive with immediate effect.
The announcement came as the government was facing criticism for announcing an arbitrary deadline for deactivation of telephone lines not linked to NIN.
Only 42 million Nigerians have obtained NIN since the national database programme commenced over a decade ago; while subscriber base for telephone lines was pegged at 205 million last month.
This could leave 163 million telephone lines at risk of being disconnected by the end of the deadline on December 31, 2020 — two weeks away.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
Tinubu celebrates ex-military dictator IBB at 85
“But for his foresight, wisdom, and sense of equity and fairness, many states in the federation might not exist today,” Mr Tinubu reasoned.

Anti-Corruption
SEREC accountability in port charges, operational delays
SEREC has called for transparent port charges, accountable operators and a regulatory system where responsibility for delays follows the party that caused them.

Lagos
Badagry LG chairman distributes food palliatives to 500 widows
Mr Hunpe said the widows were selected randomly across the 10 wards of the local government.

NationWide
Customs hands over 399 seized rifles to arms control agency
Mr Adeniyi said officials seized the firearms during the inspection and documentation of a consignment at Tincan Island Port, Lagos.

States
New Edo assembly speaker suspends Agbebaku, majority leader over alleged corruption
Mr Idiaye, who represents Akoko Edo Constituency I, was elected the new speaker following Blessing Agbebaku’s resignation on Monday.

States
Regional development minister lauds NEDC projects in Borno
Minister of State for Regional Development, Uba Maigari Ahmadu, commended the North East Development Commission (NEDC) for ongoing projects in the region.






