Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Nigerian parliament begs Air Peace to evacuate Nigerians from Ukraine as Buhari snores again

The Buhari regime had earlier told Nigerians in Ukraine they are on their own. The president has yet to issue any statement about the unfolding crisis.

• February 24, 2022
House of Reps
House of Representatives, [PHOTO CREDIT: Official Twitter handle of Reps NGR]

The House of Representatives has called for the immediate evacuation of Nigerians in Ukraine following Russia’s attack on Thursday, overriding President Muhammadu Buhari’s failure to take urgent action to protect Nigerians caught in the Black Sea crossfire.

The motion for evacuation was moved by Ahmed Munir at the plenary on Thursday. Lawmakers also took to social media to make the announcement. 

The parliament offered to “shoulder the immediate evacuation of Nigerians, students from Ukraine,” a bulletin from the House communications said on Thursday afternoon.

Speaker Femi Gbajabiamila urged Leke Abejide to interact with the Chairman of Air Peace, Allen Onyema, to evacuate Nigerians from Ukraine by February 28. The House Committee on Foreign Affairs has been mandated to liaise with the Foreign Affairs Ministry.

At the time of filing this report, it is unclear how the legislators intend to carry out its resolution. Ukraine closed its airspace to civilian flights on Thursday after Russia launched  land, sea and air invasions while Europe’s aviation regulator warned about hazards to flying in bordering regions. A spokesman for Air Peace did not immediately return a request seeking comments as to deadlines.

The new development comes after weeks of Ukraine-Russia military tensions. Peoples Gazette had reported on Nigeria’s silence on evacuating its nationals living in Ukraine while countries like the United Kingdom, Israel and others urged their nationals to leave the European country. 

Earlier, a statement from the Nigerian Embassy in Ukraine had asked citizens to secure themselves, saying that they were “responsible for their personal security and safety.”

On Thursday morning, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced his decision to begin a special military operation in response to the republics’ request. Blasts were heard in Kyiv, the capital city, in Kharkiv, and in Kramatorsk in the region of Donetsk after Mr Putin’s address.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Remi Tinubu

States

Remi Tinubu inaugurates national community food bank for South-West

She said the programme is a deliberate, sustainable response to food insecurity and malnutrition among vulnerable households nationwide.

Bola Tinubu in a jolly mood with Wike.

States

I would have delivered Osun to Tinubu even if people voted against APC: Wike

Mr Wike insisted the outcome of the election would have been different if he had been on the federal government team that went to Osun State.

Tinubu and Keir Starmer

Opinion

Obiageli Ezekwesili: President Tinubu, terminate the dodgy £746 million ports deal

To my fellow citizens, this deal will worsen Nigeria’s fiscal and economic future. I have spoken. You have a voice. Use it.

Local drug store

States

Kano govt bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores

The Kano State government has banned patent medicine stores across the state from administering intravenous (IV) fluid infusion and blood transfusion.

Peter Mbah and Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU)

States

Gov Mbah increases ESUT subvention to N276 million, urges ASUU to suspend strike

The increase brings the state government’s total monthly funding to ESUT from N161 million to N276 million.

States

Gov. Idris okays N2 billion, buses for seven Kebbi tertiary institutions

Mr Abubakar-Tunga said the buses were meant to enhance mobility, welfare, and learning conditions across the institutions.